Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Red Beer (as in beer + tomato juice)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
gunnar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Red Beer (as in beer + tomato juice)

OK, everywhere I mention this I get all kinds of disgusted reactions. I don't care. It's one of the great beer-based pleasures in life and if I'm the only one doing it, that's fine. (Actually, a little googling shows that others are doing it, but mostly as a hangover cure.)
When I was a kid I remember my dad drinking red beer (I don't know what ratio of tomato juice to beer he was using, but I like it very tomato-y) out of frosty mugs. I think I also remember him drinking it in bars sometimes. (In Montana, at least in those days, kids could be in bars.) When I reached legal age I would sometimes order it (mostly in eastern Washington and northern Idaho) and no bartender ever blinked an eye. If I drank only red beer, even if I attained near-blind levels of drunkenness, I'd have little to no hangover.
Whenever I tried ordering it in the midwest, however, all I got was a blank stare, or a beer with the word red in the name.
Now, red beer may indeed be good for curing hangovers, and it is good for avoiding them, but perhaps its greatest value lies in the ability to put flavor into really crappy beer. I've even been able to enjoy Rolling Rock this way, for example.

Anyway, to bring this around to homebrew related topics, I cooked up a batch of tomato juice yesterday (tomatoes plus garlic, some mild peppers, some basil, pepper, a fair amount of salt and ... a few cones of my homegrown hops (there's the homebrew part). Later, once it was ice cold, I had a red beer (the beer was Shiner Bock). Best red beer I ever had, thanks to that homemade tomato juice (I've had Shiner Bock red beer recently, but with store-bought juice and it was just average).
I couldn't really taste the hops, so next time I'm going to add more to see if I can get it to a point where a non-hoppy beer, properly reddened, becomes hoppy. Who knows--it might even make a "triple-hopped" bottle of yellowish soda water taste like it's been hopped. And tomatoed.

Oh, by the way, I never put tomato juice in really good beer. I don't think that would work.

Anyone ever added hops to anything non-beer, but which gets added to beer?
Anyone else drink red beer?
Gunnar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3184 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 2712

Clamato beer. Homebrew friend made it. Bipolar reactions to it at club meeting. I like it.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
Jmarsh544
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have come to spend a fair amount of time in Montana lately and have really come to enjoy red beer. I find that in bars that have nothing but BMC that I will order red beers allnight. I have also subsituted clamato for tomato juice to get "clam beer" which is like the difference between a bloody Mary and a Cesar. Keep up with the north west traditions!

Old 09-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

IN BC it was often a dash of clamato or tomato juice in a glass of Canaidan (bud/coors like beer). Probably to mask the crappy taste.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 09-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #5
gunnar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarsh544 View Post
I have come to spend a fair amount of time in Montana lately and have really come to enjoy red beer. I find that in bars that have nothing but BMC that I will order red beers allnight.
That makes me feel good. Trapped in Illinois, it's nice to know that things back home are still right and proper.
Thanks.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:48 AM   #6
MrNate
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Some of the old timers here in Jersey drink it. They bring their own clamato, though.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:53 AM   #7
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

here in oklahoma i know alot of people who drink it
the wife and i enjoy a yellow-fizzy + clamato ofton in the summer time.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:10 AM   #8
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It's pretty popular here in Nebraska particularly during football games. It's Cornhusker red don't ya know. (It's not really Cornhusker red but those fans are nuts.)

Old 09-03-2009, 03:12 AM   #9
gunnar
Recipes 

I've never had the opportunity/guts to try Clamato. Juice with fish in it hasn't ever been high on my list of desires. Maybe I'll have to get over it.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #10
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In one part of rural Mexico, they add Worchestershire sauce, tabasco, lime, and salt the rim, and call it a Michelada. I think Budweiser is selling it premade these days.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Quick Reply