Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Beer Discussion (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/)
-   -   Record for the highest extract OG ever? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/record-highest-extract-og-ever-168300/)

Rob-O 03-15-2010 02:19 PM

Record for the highest extract OG ever?
 
Obvioulsy, I'm posting this because I think I've already won...My answer to come after a few responses confirm my suspicions.

While I know better than to say, "I've ruined it!" I will say that I'm going to have to do a little more than primary ferment for a week and bottle for 2 weeks...

Neonsilver 03-15-2010 02:22 PM

Right around 1.125 was my highest.

annasdadhockey 03-15-2010 02:22 PM

You realize that yeast only work up until a certain alcohol % and then die, correct?
You will most likely be left with something far too sweet to drink.

You win.

metaltim 03-15-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annasdadhockey (Post 1945063)
You realize that yeast only work up until a certain alcohol % and then die, correct?
You will most likely be left with something far too sweet to drink.

You win.

you can double pitch yeast right?

Yooper 03-15-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaltim (Post 1945075)
you can double pitch yeast right?

Sure. But the attenuation won't change, nor the alcohol tolerance, of the yeast strain.

Some people have had good luck with fermenting with an ale yeast, then adding a champagne yeast once the ale yeast quits. Sometimes that works.

Neonsilver 03-15-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YooperBrew (Post 1945099)
Sure. But the attenuation won't change, nor the alcohol tolerance, of the yeast strain.

Some people have had good luck with fermenting with an ale yeast, then adding a champagne yeast once the ale yeast quits. Sometimes that works.

In a couple weeks I'll be checking where mine is at and possibly doing this depending on where I sit. I'm hoping I pitched big enough to take care of this and they should last up to what I need them to (right around 12.5%).

Rob-O 03-15-2010 03:06 PM

So, Neonsilver, what kind of beer, and what was the OG, please?

sirsloop 03-15-2010 03:07 PM

I did a 1.200 partial. 22.5% ABV

Neonsilver 03-15-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob-O (Post 1945192)
So, Neonsilver, what kind of beer, and what was the OG, please?

American Barleywine, right around 1.125. I'm not sure exactly, I have that information at home.

Rob-O 03-15-2010 03:50 PM

I'm starting to think that I mis-read my hydrometer, although I don't see how, despite the fact that it's the third I've ever done...


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:56 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.