New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Recommendations for a good sour?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #21
BrookdaleBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The more affordable, widely available yet still tasty sours are probably Lindeman's Cuvee Rene and Petrus Aged Pale. Avoid any of Lindeman's fruit lambics because they are sweetened to the point of being disgusting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 04:43 AM   #22
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1131 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 451

I've had Lindeman's fruit lambics in the past. I thought the same thing. Very, very sweet. My wife loves em

I picked up a bottle of Duchesse and The Bruery's Hottenroth today. I'll give em both a taste here in the next few days. Hopefully I'll enjoy. That bottle of Duchesse was f'in expensive. But I picked up some Rochefort 10 while I was there, so either way not a wasted trip

Up Next: Pale Mild, Coniston Bluebird Bitter clone v1.0
Primary: ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout
Bottled: Düsseldorf Altbier, Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 06-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #23
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, Lindeman's is hardly beer, and a damn waste of precious, authentic lambic (which IS hidden underneath the pasteurization, filtering, fruit, and all that sugar, believe it or not.) If I'm going to have a backsweetened fruit lambic, at least Mort Subite has some recognizable lambic taste, if you're paying attention.

One of my absolute favorite beers, Panil Barriquée (and some other Flanders Reds as well) tastes like there is SOME amount of cherries, berries, and similar fruit added to the beer - though less than you'd get in a typical fruit lambic - but there's no actual fruit at all. The malts, microorganisms, and processes combine to make a beer which is far more wine-like than any other style.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #24
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
See if you can get your hands on a Rodenbach, or Rodenbach Gran Cru.
+1. If you're a little scared, regular Rodenbach (1/4 sour) is fine, but the Grand Cru (2/3 sour) is the best Flanders I've ever had. It's relatively cheap, too; I think I paid about $9 for a 750.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #25
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Had my first taste of a real sour yesterday, when we took the tour at the New Belgium brewery at Fort Collins. I didn't expect to be plied with quite that much beer- but I'm not complaining, mind.
The last beer we were served was the Folie, and it was......interesting. I'm still in the process of evaluating whether I'm interested in brewing some sour myself.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #26
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

I find La Folie too acetic to enjoy. I don't care for Duchess and many other Flanders reds because they taste too much like balsamic vinegar. I do enjoy a good lambic and oud bruin. If you don't like one or two sours that doesn't mean you won't enjoy any sours.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #27
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Wild Devil (pretty sure that was a sour) was great

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #28
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
Had my first taste of a real sour yesterday, when we took the tour at the New Belgium brewery at Fort Collins. I didn't expect to be plied with quite that much beer- but I'm not complaining, mind.
The last beer we were served was the Folie, and it was......interesting. I'm still in the process of evaluating whether I'm interested in brewing some sour myself.
I know it is the top ranked Flanders red ale in the world but for me personally it is way over the top too bitter. The Duchesse stomps La Folie as judged by my palette!

Another sour beer to be considered is a Kentucky Common. Commercial examples are exceedingly scarce but Magic Hat's Odd Notion 2009 was a sour brown ale which seems to fit the style parameters of a Kentucky Common. When I emailed the brewery for hints on the recipe I was completely ignored. Not the sort of response or behavior I would have expected from a craft brewery.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Old 06-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #29
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercougarfalconbird View Post
Wild Devil (pretty sure that was a sour) was great
It's not a sour. It is brewed with brett, which is a wild yeast, but you don't really get any sourness from it.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 AM   #30
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceweldon View Post
I was at this awesome little beer bar called Stubbies and was a couple in and started ordering wildly off the menu.
Hey man, you ever come down to Hoggetown Ale Works on University to buy your gear and ingredients? You should come to a brew class if you haven't. The owner is awesome and at least 2 of the staff are on this board.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Quick Reply