Really warm yeast pitch !?!??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t8hopwood

Reaction score
Long story short yeast was pitched at about 90 degrees.
My Girlfriend was rushing me so i pitched and split.
came home to the lid blown off the primary.
sanitized it and put it back on to find i have a racing ferment.
how will this affect flavor? FG? ABV?
i rack on tuesday to glass carboy so i will get a look at it.
from here on out i am moving to a glass primary and a blow tube so this is the last time it will happen

any thoughts on what will happen to the beer??

p.s. the lid blew off twice and was exposed to air in my basement for a few hours
(4 to 5) from what i have read this may be no big deal or it could be horrible.
tuesday i will get a good look at it.

t8hopwood said:
My Girlfriend was rushing me so i pitched and split.
Sounds like a job for desensitizing cream...

90 is awfully warm, but the yeast obviously survived. I'll bet you saw a long lag time, but it should probably be ok. You may find that you have some fruity off flavors from esters and/or slight solvent "bite" from fusel alcohols.

For now, RDWHAHB!

Yuri_Rage said:
I'll bet you saw a long lag time, but it should probably be ok. You may find that you have some fruity off flavors from esters and/or slight solvent "bite" from fusel alcohols.
Long lag would be a good thing here, no? If the wort had a chance to cool some before the fermentation really kicked in, you'll have a lower chance of all the nasties Yuri mentioned, I would think.

Yuri_Rage said:
For now, RDWHAHB!
As always! If the CO2 was coming off the fermentation fast enough to blow the lid off the primary, not many bad guys in your basement air are gong to have a chance to swim against that current.

Yuri_Rage said:
the yeast obviously survived. I'll bet you saw a long lag time,
For now, RDWHAHB!

no lag time

bubbles started right away
lid blew on day two after a lot of foam had already penetrated the airlock

this is totally different than the IPA i just did that had such slow and little activity during
primary and brought back to life when racked to seondary.

t8hopwood said:
no lag time

bubbles started right away
lid blew on day two after a lot of foam had already penetrated the airlock

this is totally different than the IPA i just did that had such slow and little activity during
primary and brought back to life when racked to seondary.

everytime something different

I pitched a pretty big size starter of WYeast 3068 into my Weizenbock that was around 90, fermentation took off almost immediately. I wouldn't worry about it, it could be that you produced some esters that make the beer 10x better than what you might have expected otherwise. RDWHAHB is really all you can do now isn't it?

Back