Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is This Really as Male-Dominated as it Seems?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
KirbyTails
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Is This Really as Male-Dominated as it Seems?

The other night, I was talking to boyfriend about how he should go to the local home brewers club meeting by himself, since I will most likely be out of town on that day. And he looks at me and says, "I don't want to go. I'll look like a noob. You're the one who's been reading about all this stuff - I just put stuff in a pot and mix it together. At least you could intelligently discuss it." But with most everybody here, it seems to be the opposite - the man does all the brewing while the woman contributes occasionally. Or at least that's the vibe I've gotten.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
riverfrontbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

male dominated, but I have met a few great female brewers

Old 07-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4692 Times on 4348 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Male majority today.

Wimmin's work of yore.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 597 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Male dominated because most men drink beer and have the interest in brewing. Most women drink wine coolers or fruity mixed drinks and dislike beer. Thus, they have little interest in homebrewing.

Nothing against female brewers or female beer drinkers it is just that they are in the minority.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
jja
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, mostly males, but our club has several excellent female brewers/meadmakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyTails View Post
[bf:] I'll look like a noob.
So? Homebrewers, esp in clubs, are quite welcoming to noobs. All the homebrewers I've met from Laramie/Cheyenne are quite nice. If he actually likes beer & brewing, encourage him to go and maybe learn something.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
IXVolt

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Male dominated yes, but I do wish it was more balanced. Brewing in many cultures was always the woman's role. That's where the word brewster came from.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
ASassyBeerChick83
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyTails View Post
The other night, I was talking to boyfriend about how he should go to the local home brewers club meeting by himself, since I will most likely be out of town on that day. And he looks at me and says, "I don't want to go. I'll look like a noob. You're the one who's been reading about all this stuff - I just put stuff in a pot and mix it together. At least you could intelligently discuss it." But with most everybody here, it seems to be the opposite - the man does all the brewing while the woman contributes occasionally. Or at least that's the vibe I've gotten.

Thoughts?

Our Story! I am the wifey checking & researching out all of the information to tell the hubby! i have an account on here, but the hubby wants one, too... But he has other hobbies that he attends to. So, I got on the beer brewing forum. The hubby listens to me & reads up on what he wants to. We follow the recipe & brew the beer together... Although, the hubby is just as interested in the beer brewing as I am.

Interesting, I know.

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
- Czech Proverb

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Stretch1991
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am trying to get my girlfriend to join me in my conquest but it wasnt always male dominated

http://brewess.wordpress.com/2010/04/30/history-of-women-brewers/

"According to beer historian Alan Eames, the religious myths of ancient societies credit the creation of beer to women. For the Pharaonic Egyptians, the goddess Hathor invented beer. She was worshiped throughout the dynastic ages as the “queen of drunkness and dance and the inventress of beer” (1). For the ancient Fins, however, ale was created by three women: Osmotor, Kapo, and Kalevatar. While trying to prepare for a wedding feast, Kalevatar combined saliva from a bear with wild honey, added it to beer, and created the gift of ale (1)."

Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
ASassyBeerChick83
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Male dominated because most men drink beer and have the interest in brewing. Most women drink wine coolers or fruity mixed drinks and dislike beer. Thus, they have little interest in homebrewing.

Nothing against female brewers or female beer drinkers it is just that they are in the minority.
I love beer way more than fuity drinks... Fruity drinks get to be a little too much... Now, don't get me wrong... The hubby & I also love a good bottle of wine every once in a while.... I think you assumption might be right... But I know plenty of chicks that choose the malt over the fruit.

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
- Czech Proverb

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
KeyWestBrewing
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 527

I do all the recipe formulating and learned all the do's and donts, but my girlfriend helps me out on brew days sometimes. Tell your boyfriend that by going to the club it's gonna teach him a lot. The better brewers in the club should be happy to give him advice and so forth. Everyone is a noob at some point it's not that big of a deal.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Quick Reply