Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Really annoyed with my Austin H. S. order, proabbly at me.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Really annoyed with my Austin H. S. order, proabbly at me.

You know sometimes you probably mess up, but then you think maybe someone else might think about such things too.......

I wanted to order last Wednesday but wanted to confirm the availability of a particular yeast at Austin Homebrew. I called early Thursday and got it confirmed and ordered. Got the cold pack for the weather here is pretty brutal of late. I thought they might get it out Thursday as they are very prompt shippers and it went through my mind that surely they wouldn't ship an order with yeast in it on a Friday afternoon with temps near 100 and knowing it wouldn't move over the weekend. Didn't call and confirm....my bad.

It came today (five days from shipping) and the 'cold pack' showed 95F on my digital thermometer. Wyeast pouch fully expanded and hot to the touch. I guess what got me was the cold pack was only slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes and was with the yeast in a plastic baggie thing on the top of the box. Really? That wouldn't have kept the yeast cold over night let alone for five days. I thought it would be in a Styrofoam thing or some insulated container. I'll take the blame this time due to timing, but if that is how all suppliers "insulate" liquid yeast in the summer there is no way that yeast could have been kept cool for even a standard three day shipping period. I'll never order any again in summer. Live and learn I guess.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

That's pretty standard no matter who you order from. The yeast is fine. Make a starter.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1038 View Post
That's pretty standard no matter who you order from. The yeast is fine. Make a starter.
Got it underway as I write.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

Primary:
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);

Old 06-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I feel you. It never seems too great. There's no way they can do it economically though. The yeast always works out fine for me.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #5
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1015 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

I had the exact same issue with some yeast I ordered from Austin, as well. Mine was also in the low 90's when I checked it. It felt like a hot pack, not an ice pack. As mentioned above, I made a starter and it took off just fine. One thing in my favor was the fact it was a saison yeast...

Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
CBXBob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 170

I took the stress out of ordering yeast, I go with the dry. Really like the vacuum packed Danstar from Lallemand. I did a APA about a week ago, re hydrated for about an hour, pitched, and in 4 hours the wort was going, in 8 hours krausen in the blow off tube. Smack packs, and vials may be good (or great) I've been way more comfortable with the dry. Maybe when I'm a old timer on here I'll say I was wrong, but for now, give me the dry. Less stress.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBXBob View Post
I took the stress out of ordering yeast, I go with the dry. Really like the vacuum packed Danstar from Lallemand. I did a APA about a week ago, re hydrated for about an hour, pitched, and in 4 hours the wort was going, in 8 hours krausen in the blow off tube. Smack packs, and vials may be good (or great) I've been way more comfortable with the dry. Maybe when I'm a old timer on here I'll say I was wrong, but for now, give me the dry. Less stress.
same here. for most of the beer i make; APA, blondes and american wheat beer US-05 does the job well. when i make sours i do buy yeast or step up bottle dregs. i have various home brew shops around here but i guess others are not as lucky and have to order yeast online.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #8
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I hate to say it, but this is why I refuse to order liquid yeast during the warm months. I imagine that the 'cold pack' is pretty much spent by the time the package gets from AHS to the UPS hub. (Ever been in the back of a truck in the summer? I have and I can tell you it's hot as hell...).

Old 06-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #9
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6264 Times on 5437 Posts
Likes Given: 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
I hate to say it, but this is why I refuse to order liquid yeast during the warm months. I imagine that the 'cold pack' is pretty much spent by the time the package gets from AHS to the UPS hub. (Ever been in the back of a truck in the summer? I have and I can tell you it's hot as hell...).
Agreed completely. I avoid liquid yeast from any on-line place during the summer.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Me too from now on. I pitched it and unless Denny's Favorite 50 smells rotten all the time I'm worried. It was 105 here today and it sat on the front porch for about three hours before I got home in addition to the UPS oven it was in all day. Not planning to brew until Sunday, so I hope it will perk up and I can save it in the fridge till then.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

Primary:

Quick Reply