Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > re-active fermentation, why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
togodoug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default re-active fermentation, why?

I brewed a batch and had it bubbling away. Then it slowed down until at about day 8 it was stopped. This seemed normal and fine. Then at about day 17 it started to bubble, like one burp every 5 to 10 seconds. Now at day 18 its still burping.
I’d had it at 62 to 66 degrees. I noticed it crept up to 70 degrees at the re-birth. I think the temp increase is due to my inattentiveness, not heat generation, but I ‘m not sure.
Is this temperature related or just coincidental, it the beer ruined, what to do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You beer is fine...airlock bubbling doesn't necessarily means you have fermentation happening again...all it means is that your airlock is bubbling...it's NOT the same thing.

You had a temp change, so either indeed the yeast woke up a bit OR the temp shift is causing co2 to come out of the trub....or the cat nudged it at some point and co2 is coming out of the trub...

You can't just assume you have fermentation, nor should you assume something is wrong...A hydrometer is the only way to know what is really happenning....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply