The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > razbevarian dunkel weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
buzbey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default razbevarian dunkel weizen

I'm brewing a dunkel and I wanna put a couple pounds of raspberrys in it. I really like white labs wlp300 so I'm thinking I won't transfer it so I can get more yeast in my bottles. Is there any reason I shouldn't add the raspberry's to the primary? I'm thinking about ten days or so when its all done fermenting or will my yeast still eat the **** out of my berrys leaving nothing behind

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't really understand the question, but adding raspberries during primary or secondary the yeast will probably ferment the **** out of it.

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Old 01-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #3
buzbey
Recipes 

Ya I kinda dragged on. My question is if I add raspberrys to the primary after fermentation has stopped will there be any raspberry flavor in the finished beer or will my yeast just eat the **** out of it? Also a good amount of raspberrys would be appreciated

Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You will get tartness and a little flavor out of the fruit but not a lot of sweetness. You will want to freeze the berries first to burst the cell walls. When I've used raspberries, I mashed them and heated them to 160 F to sterilize...this may or may not be necessary, but I was using home-picked berries and wanted to minimize any wild yeast.

If you want a touch of flavor, 2 or 3 lbs is fine. If you want to really sock it to the beer, 5 or 6 lbs. I assume this is a 5-gal batch.

(2 qts, equal to ~4 lbs, of blueberries in a 3 gallon batch added a very noticeable aroma and tartness to a batch I tried once).

I would probably add them late in the primary, like you suggested, to clean the beer up (lots of seeds in raspberries). The yeast will eat up virtually all the sugar. Are you using a secondary?

Regardless of how you clear it, there will be enough yeast in suspension to prime the beer.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 01-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
Scotty_g

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You will get tartness and a little flavor out of the fruit but not a lot of sweetness. You will want to freeze the berries first to burst the cell walls. When I've used raspberries, I mashed them and heated them to 160 F to sterilize...this may or may not be necessary, but I was using home-picked berries and wanted to minimize any wild yeast.

If you want a touch of flavor, 2 or 3 lbs is fine. If you want to really sock it to the beer, 5 or 6 lbs. I assume this is a 5-gal batch.

(2 qts, equal to ~4 lbs, of blueberries in a 3 gallon batch added a very noticeable aroma and tartness to a batch I tried once).

I would probably add them late in the primary, like you suggested, to clean the beer up (lots of seeds in raspberries). The yeast will eat up virtually all the sugar. Are you using a secondary?

Regardless of how you clear it, there will be enough yeast in suspension to prime the beer.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 01-15-2013, 02:45 AM   #6
buzbey
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. How long should I leave the berrys in before I bottle? Is two weeks gonna be long enough

Old 01-15-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
buzbey
Recipes 

5 gal batch and no secondary

Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 AM   #8
Scotty_g

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzbey View Post
Thanks for the info. How long should I leave the berrys in before I bottle? Is two weeks gonna be long enough
They'll ferment out in under a week.

If you don't do a secondary, maybe let it sit for two or three weeks after you get the berries in. Make sure you cold crash it before bottling day to minimize the amount of berry parts that end up in the bottles. Perhaps a gelatin addition would help as well.

The fruit will probably fade over time so this beer will have more fruit flavor early in its life (like a month after bottling).

Natural 20 Brewery

Quick Reply