Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Raw Vegan brewing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #171
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
Hmm, I fail to see the distinction. Veganism is a lifestyle choice, is it not? The dietary aspect is equally important as the things that are used around the house or worn on the body, aren't they? I wasn't trying to make fun with the sponge statement, rather, make a point. The point being, it seems like a slipperly slope to include everything in the Animal kingdom, because it gets REALLY messy when you have to exclude things like, (maybe a bad example) sponges.
An actual vegan, not someone that simply follows a vegan diet, wouldn't use animal products in clothes or other products (at least as much is possible in our society).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #172
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte

I'd, personally, edit that to be "some people that call themselves vegans eat honey"
As a vegetarian who has routinely been offered chicken and fish under the premise that "some vegetarians eat chicken", I heartily support your refinement of my post

Old 10-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #173
afr0byte
Recipes 

I guess the posts I don't get in this thread (and in the world at large, for that matter) are the ones that think it's funny to say (I'm paraphrasing) "Hurrr, I'm going to go eat something I think vegans will find especially repulsive." I have to assume the intent is to insult vegans as a whole, but I don't know.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #174
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte
I guess the posts I don't get in this thread (and in the world at large, for that matter) are the ones that think it's funny to say (I'm paraphrasing) "Hurrr, I'm going to go eat something I think vegans will find especially repulsive." I have to assume the intent is to insult vegans as a whole, but I don't know.
Well, yeah. I guess you could come around with "I hope you get cancer from your charbroiled meat and die!", but why engage lol. It's usually all in good fun. And also usually from fat people
Old 10-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #175
afr0byte
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Well, yeah. I guess you could come around with "I hope you get cancer from your charbroiled meat and die!", but why engage lol. It's usually all in good fun. And also usually from fat people
True, there's no reason to engage. I guess I just don't understand how it's funny to say something similar to what I paraphrased.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #176
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
True, there's no reason to engage. I guess I just don't understand how it's funny to say something similar to what I paraphrased.
I going to go eat some kale chips

-Retired Homebrewer

afr0byte Likes This 
Old 10-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #177
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Hmm... While I agree that people saying "ZOMG JALAPENOS STUFFED WITH SAUSAGE AND CHEESE AND ROLLED IN BACON AND DEEP FRIED IN LARD SO GOOD" is a bit ridiculous and yes, just to make health-conscious people grossed out, labeling people fat without knowing who they are is pretty bad, too. You've said that several times in this thread, which is the only reason I'm pointing it out. Why even stoop to that level?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #178
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
I'm a fat meat eater and I have to say that was funny.
True, (maybe a little hurtful), but FUNNY!!!

Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #179
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas
You've said that several times in this thread, which is the only reason I'm pointing it out. Why even stoop to that level?
It may be a little low, especially considering how self conscious people are about their bodies. And I apologize for any hurt feelings. However I will say that out of the thousands of times I've been ridiculed for my diet throughout my life, it had never been by a healthy-figured carnivore. And I know it's because they are projecting/venting their dissatisfaction with how they feel with themselves as a result of their own poor choices on me. The guy who walks up to me at the barbecue with a stick on a plate, always fat. The lady who makes a show out of wrinkling her nose at the salad I'm eating at lunch (which isn't THAT often for gods sake) always fat. So forgive me if I'M a little jaded. It's wasn't easy growing up this way in a redneck community I assure you.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #180
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
It may be a little low, especially considering how self conscious people are about their bodies. And I apologize for any hurt feelings. However I will say that out of the thousands of times I've been ridiculed for my diet throughout my life, it had never been by a healthy-figured carnivore. And I know it's because they are projecting/venting their dissatisfaction with how they feel with themselves as a result of their own poor choices on me. The guy who walks up to me at the barbecue with a stick on a plate, always fat. The lady who makes a show out of wrinkling her nose at the salad I'm eating at lunch (which isn't THAT often for gods sake) always fat. So forgive me if I'M a little jaded. It's wasn't easy growing up this way in a redneck community I assure you.
Well I was berated for using my experience as a device for simply sharing my thoughts on the topic earlier in this thread. I won't do the same to you, because I understand where you're coming from. While I love meat, and eat it daily, I am healthy, perhaps even low in weight. I do, however understand what you mean. Working in an office full of obese people has terrible qualities. I also get the "must be nice to be skinny" comments from overweight coworkers while I eat a burger or tacos, and then proceed to witness these same people consume the same, only in LARGER portions! It all comes down to this, though... Not everyone acts that way.

Quick Reply