The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Raw Vegan brewing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #161
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I am very impressed we somehow managed to steer this discussion to an actual recipe. Well done.

-Retired Homebrewer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #162
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
I am very impressed we somehow managed to steer this discussion to an actual recipe. Well done.
My cousin's Vegan and I know how much s%^& they take, so I like to make sure she has something special every Thanksgiving. It may not be my lifestyle, but I'm always sure to be respectful of her's and others'. Besides, a weird problem like a vegan/raw foods brew just gives me an opportunity to learn.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #163
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzARzz View Post
My cousin's Vegan and I know how much s%^& they take, so I like to make sure she has something special every Thanksgiving. It may not be my lifestyle, but I'm always sure to be respectful of her's and others'. Besides, a weird problem like a vegan/raw foods brew just gives me an opportunity to learn.
A good friend of mine's wife is a vegetarian (ovo/lacto) and it's actually kind of fun to make something that she'd eat that I've never made before. A bit of a crap shoot, but she's a good sport about it and usually gives me honest feedback on it. We still give her a hard time about her being a veggie, but that's only because she gives it right back to us and doesn't get her feelings hurt. Thankfully, she digs my beer so if the food I made is inedible, I can make it up to her with beer. Nothin' wrong with a liquid lunch every now and then.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #164
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I think I'm missing the point. It's one thing to be very careful that your homebrew doesn't have any animal derivatives (most of us are OK there) but the concept of making it conform to raw vegan seems misplaced. I understand (or think I do), the primary motive to sticking to a raw diet, but unless your cousin strictly adheres due to the concept of harmful effects of heating, I think I'd just say hey, this is completely vegan but the brewing process requires boiling if that bothers you. If you find that it does, offer up a hard cider. I keep at least one caffeine free, sugar free soda in my bev fridge for guests that require that, but I'm not going to brew a 60 calorie near beer for dieting alcoholic guests just because I happen to brew beer.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #165
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I think I'm missing the point. It's one thing to be very careful that your homebrew doesn't have any animal derivatives (most of us are OK there) but the concept of making it conform to raw vegan seems misplaced. I understand (or think I do), the primary motive to sticking to a raw diet, but unless your cousin strictly adheres due to the concept of harmful effects of heating, I think I'd just say hey, this is completely vegan but the brewing process requires boiling if that bothers you. If you find that it does, offer up a hard cider. I keep at least one caffeine free, sugar free soda in my bev fridge for guests that require that, but I'm not going to brew a 60 calorie near beer for dieting alcoholic guests just because I happen to brew beer.
Yea, I would pretty much agree. But if people want to try, they should. My comment earlier was, why would someone adhering to a raw food diet want to consume alcohol. I thought part of the philosophy was keeping bad stuff out of your body. Unless someone wants to argue that alcohol is good for you...

Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #166
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I like it. Personally I wouldn't UV the hop water as I don't see a risk of infection there, so that could be added later. Also you may want to go 2 or 3 hours with that at those low temps. Looks good. Someone would brew this. It should be the OP, for penalty of creating this thread.
I wonder- would sulfites (campden tabs) but totally out of line for the raw vegan angle? First, they will sanitize the must so infection won't happen (lacto primarily would be a risk), and I use it in my wine. Secondly, the sulfite would dissipate quickly, so it wouldn't actually be "in" the beer(?) after fermentation gets going.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #167
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
Unless someone wants to argue that alcohol is good for you...
I wouldn't argue that it's good for you- but I would say that it isn't harmful and may offer health benefits in small amounts.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #168
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Another issue that I don't think has been mentioned, might have missed it in the 17 pages, is that commercial hops are kilned at a temperature higher than the raw diet would allow. So, if you want to do this, you're going to have to start growing, and air drying your hops.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #169
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Nah, my cousin's your average, run-of-the-mill vegan. She drinks beer with the rest of us (and bourbon with me ) as long as it doesn't have any animal byproducts (like gelatin for fining, white sugar processed with bone char, etc.).

This was more of a thought experiment for me than something I find necessary or something that should even be attempted.

The raw food diet and vegan diet are separate things, so raw foodies may eat meat as long as it isn't cooked (some will, at any rate... and yuck...) and vegans will eat cooked everything as long as it doesn't involve critters. The OP was for a recipe that was both vegan AND raw food diet compliant, which is where the trouble came in for making a beer with both in mind. If it was just vegan it would be easy, as a few have already said on this meandering thread.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #170
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
It is a actually simply because honey is an animal product, and vegans don't eat any animal products. But some vegans will eat honey.
I'd, personally, edit that to be "some people that call themselves vegans eat honey"

Quick Reply