Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Raw Vegan brewing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #151
teresalgl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
By the time you got starch down to maltose at 100F, it would a disgusting soup of everything that is not beer.
How do you know? Have you tried it? And at this point in the process, we would want wort, not beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #152
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I talked with a raw juice manufacturer and quizzed them on their pasteurization process. They said they never get it over 40 degrees F and pasteurize with pressure. I know this doesn't help as their equipment sounded complicated.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 10-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #153
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2688 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium
I've been doing some research on this, and I've found the evidence pretty compelling in favor of meat. Grass fad, pasture quality meat, not feed-lot, corn-fed garbage. I think a lot of the paleo/primal stuff is very fad-like, almost cult-like, but some of the research is extremely compelling.

Here's some reading I found interesting: (it's on the internet, it has to be true...)
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread67217.html
http://garytaubes.com/2012/03/scienc...logy-and-meat/
http://nuclearfuzzgrunge.com/tlcm/

Again, I'm not pushing ideology here, just fostering discussion. I wholly affirm that we, the human race, don't know everything and there is no dietary silver bullet that cures all ails...Adam's curse prevails. And, my respect for you is not contingent upon your dietary choices.
I went through all the links, and they were interesting reads I didn't really see anything that expressly changed my views. I never said that meat was bad for you, I only refuted the idea that being vegetarian was somehow NOT healthy. However there are a lot of really fat and unhealthy meat eaters. I don't know any fat vegetarians, and I know a lot.

The one theme through the articles that I agree with heartily is that nutrition is not well understood. What's healthy for me may not be for you, and so forth. I do know though that many people are unwilling to change their diet and exercise(lack of) routines if it conflicts with their perception of what is comfortable. I say perception because I would be near suicidal if I became significantly overweight, but I know the issue is more complex than that.

I work with some very obese people and it is literally tragic for me to see some of them go through the same cycles every year of hating themselves, trying to diet, losing some weight, being proud, and then relapsing, gaining weight and hating themselves even more than they did before. I will say that from my observation meat is not the culprit here. It's a contributor, but sugar and carbs are by far the main culprit. It's the chips, the chocolate, the donuts. I actually think if some of these guys ate a big filling steak they would end up snacking less and being the better for it.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #154
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I went through all the links, and they were interesting reads I didn't really see anything that expressly changed my views. I never said that meat was bad for you, I only refuted the idea that being vegetarian was somehow NOT healthy. However there are a lot of really fat and unhealthy meat eaters. I don't know any fat vegetarians, and I know a lot.

The one theme through the articles that I agree with heartily is that nutrition is not well understood. What's healthy for me may not be for you, and so forth. I do know though that many people are unwilling to change their diet and exercise(lack of) routines if it conflicts with their perception of what is comfortable. I say perception because I would be near suicidal if I became significantly overweight, but I know the issue is more complex than that.

I work with some very obese people and it is literally tragic for me to see some of them go through the same cycles every year of hating themselves, trying to diet, losing some weight, being proud, and then relapsing, gaining weight and hating themselves even more than they did before. I will say that from my observation meat is not the culprit here. It's a contributor, but sugar and carbs are by far the main culprit. It's the chips, the chocolate, the donuts. I actually think if some of these guys ate a big filling steak they would end up snacking less and being the better for it.
You ever see Prince Fielder? That dude's a vegan! LOL.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #155
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Agree 100% bottlebomber. Good post.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #156
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrumm View Post
Somebody make it happen.
I found this post to be an interesting problem, so I started doing some research on it and came up with a recipe... of sorts. Let me preface this by saying I'm not vegan, I don't follow a raw foods diet, that I'll be the first to admit this recipe sounds really nasty and I will never actually make it, but theoretically it should work. It's for a honey wheat beer that is both vegan and raw food diet compliant. The major problem with this recipe is the original gravity is too low (anything in the 1.040+ range would make it about 8%+ ABV) as well as the final gravity, but without the ability to use real brewing ingredients or processes it's as good as it gets.

Rainbow Moon Beam's Honey Wheat Ale

Size: 5 gal
Type: Extract
OG: 1.033
FG: .994
IBUs: 14.1
ABV: 5.1%

Ingredients

3.5lb Turbinado Sugar
3lb Red Maca Powder
1lb Wheat Germ Powder, Defatted
1lb Agave Nectar, Organic (raw food compliant manufacturing process)
8oz Maltodextrin
1tbsp 52 pH Stabilizer
.25oz Citra hops, whole leaf (12%)
1pk Wyeast Belgian Wheat Yeast (3942) (2L starter would be better)
4oz Priming Sugar

Process

Dechloronate 5 gallons of water and leave 2 gallons in sterilized, sealed containers in refrigerator.

In 3 gallons of cold water, mix in sugar, maca powder, wheat germ, agave nectar, malto dextrin and pH stabilizer. In a 4 gallon brew pot, bring wort to 115F and add Citra hops. Hold at 115F for 1 hour, stirring occassionally.
Strain out wort into fermenting bucket, add the 2 gallons of cold water and pitch yeast when wort reads 70F.

Primary ferment 7 days and rack to secondary for 7-14 days until fermentation has halted. Bottle with 4oz corn based priming sugar.

Note: The only way I could figure to sterilize the wort without boiling would be to perhaps run it through an aquarium UV steilizer hooked to a pump for a few minutes, though this runs the risk of "skunking" it a bit due to UV's reaction with hops. This would of course be done before pitching the yeast.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you all think? A terrible violation of all that is holy in brewing?

Old 10-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #157
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzARzz View Post
I found this post to be an interesting problem, so I started doing some research on it and came up with a recipe... of sorts.

Rainbow Moon Beam's Honey Wheat Ale

So what do you all think? A terrible violation of all that is holy in brewing?
I guess I'm wondering if it is still 'beer' or just 'fermented beverage' At which point I think we are back to wine with spices. A second thought, I'm guessing zzARzz that you checked the ingredients for 'cooking.'

Looks interesting though. And you could you camden tablets for sanitation. Wild yeast/bacteria general doesn't like that.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #158
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2688 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 339

I like it. Personally I wouldn't UV the hop water as I don't see a risk of infection there, so that could be added later. Also you may want to go 2 or 3 hours with that at those low temps. Looks good. Someone would brew this. It should be the OP, for penalty of creating this thread.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #159
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Someone would brew this. It should be the OP, for penalty of creating this thread.
+1 on that.. no +2

Old 10-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #160
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
I guess I'm wondering if it is still 'beer' or just 'fermented beverage' At which point I think we are back to wine with spices. A second thought, I'm guessing zzARzz that you checked the ingredients for 'cooking.'

Looks interesting though. And you could you camden tablets for sanitation. Wild yeast/bacteria general doesn't like that.
I looked for as much information as was available with regards to the ingredients being both vegan and raw food compliant. As far as I can tell all of the ingredients are "safe," though in my internet travels I've come to the conclusion the raw food movement has some speculative claims with regards to the nutritional contents of raw vs. cooked foods.

The main trouble was trying to come up with potential gravities and yield percentages for some of the ingredients. For a couple I just divided the sugar content by the weight of a serving in the nutritional facts panel and multiplied by 100 to come up with a yield, though I'm sure that is likely off by a wide margin due to other carbs that could be turned into fermentables during the "boil" which would affect the numbers.

Obviously since there are a lot of assumptions in my recipe I'm sure an actual attempt at this would come out very different from what my copy of BeerSmith said would happen before it did a "Scanners" thing and its head exploded.

Quick Reply