Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Raw Vegan brewing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #111
Grantman1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Diet is one of those areas where we'll always have conflicting information. I've done a lot of reading on nutrition as well, and the most I ever learned from one single source was from the book The China Study. Sure, it's not going to be what most people want to hear, so many will dismiss it, but it's pretty compelling. Basically the largest study on the effects of nutrition in the history of humankind.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #112
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1267 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whattawort View Post
Don't look now, but you're engaging in it.
Can you be more specific? I don't follow what you are saying.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #113
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Pressed apple cider and yeast = awful applejack or sour scumble. Thats Raw and Vegan if you ask me.

If you could find a raw and vegan sugar to replace the corn sugar in Ed Appfelwine, that might be the ticket.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #114
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantman1 View Post
...the most I ever learned from one single source was from the book The China Study. Sure, it's not going to be what most people want to hear, so many will dismiss it, but it's pretty compelling. Basically the largest study on the effects of nutrition in the history of humankind.
Criticism of the China Study:
http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the...act-or-fallac/

Again, not being argumentative, just providing both sides.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #115
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Just to bring this back a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Just out of curiosity, who here eats dog?
I have eaten dog...I have also eaten cat, rat, squirrel, snake, alligator, horse, coyote and quite a few other "exotic" or taboo meats according to American standards.

I have also recently gone vegetarian due to an inability to digest red meat. If I am out on cycle tour I don't get so picky about it because there is less opportunity to control food supply to a certain extent, but then again I will gladly pick up my bow and take down and process an animal then give it to those who need it so it doesn't go to waste.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #116
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Back to the original question - making a non animal raw beer.
stipulation - yeast is not an animal - technically it is a Fungi (fun guy? well it makes my beer fun sorry)
1. Get some raw grain, malt it, freeze it to stop the growth after a few days. But you probably need to set the freezer on "sub artic" because these dang little seeds are designed to survive winters.
2. I've been trying to figure out sanitation of the wort, which won't be boiled and the best I've come up with is to acid wash all the grain an hops (or other spice) and then rinse a few times to remove most of the acid characteristics.
3. At this point we still need to mash it, and an artifical mash process has to be used. This would require something like amyalze or some such used to break down starchs. I'm not ware how it is made, so I don't know if it counts in the 'vegan' catagory as typically described. Water would be added here
4. Filter off the grains. after checking gravities
5. Put it in a fermentor with hpos (or other spice choice) and yeast to ferment.

alternative. Mash grapes for juice and add spices (hops, wormwood) to that and go that route. (I'd offer mead, but usually that is out).

A note on fire. Wiki put fire's first use around 400Ky before present (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control...y_early_humans) Fire is basically an external stomach for humans, the heat activation breaks down certian material we couldn't digest otherwise, and removes certian harmful bacteria that we'd have to have a larger digestive system to deal with. Our brain is 3 times the size of a chimp's, but our intestines are 1/3rd the size. Pound for pound our brain uses more energy than any other part of our body. These are possible for the majority of humanity because of fire. (not dismissing the raw diet here btw, just pointing out our homosapien adaptations).
A note on a vegan I know. He stated he has difficulty obtaining his calories for a day, that much veggie has a lot of chewing, so he juices a lot. (see previous comment about fire).
Another vegan I know doesn't care about animals, he is vegan for his health - that is he went vegan about 5 years ago and has done weight control that way.

Frankly as far as I'm concerned, you can live how you want, just don't complain that your lifestyle has a cost, be it high cholesterol, or a lack of available food choices. Although I admit like Grain Free beer, I like the puzzel of a no cook beer, How coudl it be done?

Old 10-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #117
teresalgl
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
Back to the original question - making a non animal raw beer.
stipulation - yeast is not an animal - technically it is a Fungi (fun guy? well it makes my beer fun sorry)
1. Get some raw grain, malt it, freeze it to stop the growth after a few days. But you probably need to set the freezer on "sub artic" because these dang little seeds are designed to survive winters.
2. I've been trying to figure out sanitation of the wort, which won't be boiled and the best I've come up with is to acid wash all the grain an hops (or other spice) and then rinse a few times to remove most of the acid characteristics.
3. At this point we still need to mash it, and an artifical mash process has to be used. This would require something like amyalze or some such used to break down starchs. I'm not ware how it is made, so I don't know if it counts in the 'vegan' catagory as typically described. Water would be added here
4. Filter off the grains. after checking gravities
5. Put it in a fermentor with hpos (or other spice choice) and yeast to ferment.
I think you may lose the majority of the starch by washing the grains in acid? Especially after rinsing it too?

I don't think an enzyme is required -- should be able to just soak the grains for an extended period of time.

Also, don't the alpha acids in the hops need to be isomerized to get the desired bitterness?

Is DMS a concern if there isn't a boil?

I too enjoy the puzzle. I wish people weren't so up in arms over what other people choose to eat.

Reason: clarification

Old 10-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #118
teresalgl
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresalgl View Post
I wish people weren't so up in arms over what other people choose to eat.
I should add that I also wish people were more well informed about the effects of their food choices. But that is difficult to attain and abstract.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #119
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Again, that sounds like primal, but the distinction is pretty minimal.

Most modified versions don't last long. If you're still ingesting carbs/glucose, you kinda get stuck in "no man's" land where you're not getting enough glucose to function at 100%, but not yet adapted to burning fat, so you feel sluggish, tired, headachey, terrible. Not pushing you one way or the other, but you really have to commit to it to feel the benefits, whatever they may be.
It was the life without glutens that was killing me. I rather like my whole grains and taters. Quinoa was the last straw for me....that and sorghum beer. We eat fairly healthy at our house, so as long as we keep the input less than or equal to the output we generally feel good about our diet. But it is football season, and who can resist hot wings, bacon burgers, bratwurst, and beer ever now and then? Ok, some of you can, but I'm not that strong willed.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

JordanThomas Likes This 
Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #120
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Can you be more specific? I don't follow what you are saying.
I'll let you go back and re-read your replies in this thread. If you weren't engaged, then you probably wouldn't have bothered to post multiple times. Just an observation.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Quick Reply