Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > ratio

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
CBMbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default ratio

this may be a dumb question but I've been sitting here all day trying to wrap my head around the coming brew week.

because i am using the first running's from a Big batch for a double ipa I am also pulling an extra 2.5 gallons before adding some fresh grain and sparging for a third batch.

My Question is: how can I get the 2.5 gallon boiled, and cooled with 2.5 gallons clean water and end up with a gravity close to a good ipa (intended for a citra ipa) at least 1.06, while at the same time not have my first running's be barley wine strengths? nothing really above 1.08.
Obviously there are more then a few easy ways to fix this problem such as buying a new kettle or DME, but money and quality are of an issue. any good brewing sugar suggestions would be nice.
here is my grain bill (at the moment):

25 lbs Pilsner malt
15 lbs Marris Otter
2 lbs Honey malt
1 lb white wheat
first running's should be in the 1.08's
sparge and secendary sach rest after adding
2 lbs Honey malt
1lb Belgian caramel malt

some ale yeast for the first two
then some fruit added to the end of the boil and in the third running's for a golden belgian.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply