Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Raspberry Wheat Explossion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
twubs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Raspberry Wheat Explossion

So I tried my hand at a raspberry wheat last weekend and here is my situation.
Extract Brew using canned raspberry.
Brewing went fine got it in the fermenter, pitched teh yeast and put it in the basement shower. First mistake no blow off tube.

Went down to the basement the next morning the the lid had blown 3/4 of the way off my ale pale. Second mistake (possible) I didn't post for advice I jsut reacted. I clamped the lid back on and took my freshly washed and sterlized siphone tune and ran it into the rubber grommet and into my boiling pot filled with water. The beer did continue to rapidly ferment.

Third mistake forgot to get advice again. Fermentatioin slowed so I siphoned over to a clean sterlile paleand installed a new 3 part bubbler. I forgot to take a gravity reading. What was I thinking.

It is back in the basement and all is quite.

So the standard question everyone asks, is this batch ruined for sure. Obvioulsy there is always a possbility butby doing that transfer did I remove to much of the yeast and truely increase the time for fermentation to complete? Do I need to pitch more yeast?

All these question would have been better posted prior to taking action.

Thanks for the input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Couevas

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Relax.
Your beer is most likely fine. Sounds like you had some good, clean approaches and your risk of contamination is small.

Let the ber sit for another 2 weeks or so. Measure the gravity at that point. There should be enough yeast left in suspension to finish the job. If the gravity is still way high after the extra time, you can think about repitching. At this point, RDWHAHB. It will be beer.

"No soldier can fight unless he is properly fed on beef and beer."
"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop."
-Winston Churchill----brilliant man

Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Agree w/ Couevas. I had an apricot wheat explode on me in a similar manner. It turned out just fine.

Quick Reply