New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Raleigh, NC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
beerjunky828
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Raleigh, NC

I am going to be moving to Raleigh within the next couple of weeks. I know that Raleigh has some good local breweries and some good beer bars as well as retail shops. I am curious, how is the homebrew scene, in terms of clubs, shops, events, competitions?

Also, by the grace of a good friend, I will be moving in for real cheap and everything is practically furnished. With some good, fortunate down time for the next couple of weeks, I plan to do a great amount of brewing. I plan to bring some clothes, books, and homebrewing equipment. So I was wondering if there are any fellow HBT members who would be willing to sample some homebrew and make some good kick ass beer???? I am always looking for some tips and tricks and tools and some damn fine constructive criticism. I am moving from a nearly nonexistent homebrew scene. But the beer scene was good. I am just rambling now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
lunchbox
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

http://hbd.org/carboy/

Resident Minarchist

Old 07-11-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
Kirbster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Carboy is only one club in the Triangle area, there is also Trub in Durham and of course a rag tag group of raunchy ramblers known as GRABASS. I also know that a bunch of brewers on here from the Triangle area dont prescribe to these clubs and brew just because. Either which way you go in the Triangle area, Raleigh has a pretty swell homebrew scene.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Do a search for the GRABASS threads. I used to live there, great bunch of guys.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 07-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
beerjunky828
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea, I am basically trying to look for some fellow homebrewers. I've been using this forum more as my support group but it will only take me so far. I need some substance and I am glad to hear that Raleigh can provide it. But I figured I would start here because I have seen quite a bit of homebrewers from the Raleigh-Durham area on the board.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Bubba_Mustafa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

American Brew Master in north Raleigh is a fairly decent shop. (there is a total Wine shop close by there too and a good selection of beers) Only been to Fifth Seasons in Carboro once (was just a run in and grabbed what I needed, didn't look around much)

(Though I was just in Midwest's new place the other day, its HUGE in comparison, even if you take out the hydroponic section)

Old 07-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

We GRABASSers atypically meet at unspecified times throughout the quarter and on days ending in "y." While not a "real" homebrew club, we tend to have a lot of fun and end up brewing pretty good beer... well, most of us do. It is a pretty diverse group made up of homebrewers who have no affiliation (but maybe an affliction but that's another story) and those with affiliations to other clubs.

There's several homebrewers in the area, probably measuring into the hundreds easily, who get together every so often to brew and drink beer so you shouldn't have any problems. Just look around and you'll probably find more than you want!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:13 AM   #8
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Triangle Brewing has some great brews. I don't know about shops. Head into Asheville if you get a chance....best Beer City in America.

Drinking - Craft Beer
Primary - Air
Secondary - The Plinian Legacy
Up Next - Cream of Three Crops

Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 AM   #9
jar234psu
Recipes 

We have a pretty good LHBS : American brewmaster. I've been really happy with their selection. Overall, their staff is knowledgeable too.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
beerjunky828
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My roommate just moved to Asheville for possibly a permanent job. I know he is there until the end of August, so a trip there is definitely in the bag. Yes, the craft beer scene there is huge. He also just told me that my all centennial IPA was a huge hit at a party he was at. He found a bomber tucked away with the rest of his homebrew stash. I was pretty excited to hear about some positive feedback from random people.

Quick Reply