Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Rager - Tinseth - Daniels - Garetz

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
scarlessmeanie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Rager - Tinseth - Daniels - Garetz

I have seen these different calculations all over the place, and I know that they calculate IBUs differently. What I want to know is what that difference is? Does anyone have any answers?

LIFT SHOP

RED CAP BREWING CO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The difference is they are different formulas that approximate IBUs, look up the actual formulas and it will be immediately evident why. However, the details don't really matter, the key is to stick with one formula and use that so you can make comparisons between your own beer.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
scottland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
the key is to stick with one formula and use that so you can make comparisons between your own beer.
This is the correct answer.

I always use tinseth. It calculates IBUs much lower than Rager, since it doesn't value flameout hops as high. I know what 60IBU in tinseth translates for my beers. That's all that matters.

When I see a recipe that claims to be say: 80IBU, I plug it into my tinseth calculator to see how it compares to my beers. I don't trust the arbitrary IBU numbers that are thrown around. Just pick a formula, and stick with it.

Quick Reply