The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Racking Canadian IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #11
Brew_Dog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick

why exactly?
To rack?. That's what my instructions say... I understand racking is after primary fermentation...here is were I go back to my first question..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #12
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

the instructions will get you ~beer. to make good beer you need to ferment well, and castrating the yeast at halftime isn't going to help. get it to a reasonable temp and try to forget about it for at least a week, when it's completely done fermenting as far as you can tell, give it a couple more days, then it's probably ready to bottle. that's what i would do anyways. if you want to rack it to a secondary vessel, search around the forum, there are endless arguments on the harms vs merits of doing so. for me, for a 'normal' beer, there are few benefits and many potential harms, so i don't do it

Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
What's a Canadian IPA?
An IPA using NW hops I'd imagine.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
bob1006
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_Dog

To rack?. That's what my instructions say... I understand racking is after primary fermentation...here is were I go back to my first question..
Primary fermentation is not done after 3 to 4 days. it continues for several days afterwards. Racking to secondary any sooner than 7 to 10, might result in a number of problems that you don't want.

The stickies portion of the site has all the reasons and explanations.
I don't touch mine until the ten day mark.take a gravity reading, cap it up, and let it chill for another week. If I rack to secondary its only after two weeks, if not it stays in primary for 21 and bottle it.

There are so many different opinions on this that it can get confusing. in the end if it comes out tasting like beer, then you did a good job.

Quick Reply