Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Quite possibly my first dumper.... Ideas to try before she becomes fertilizer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 2682 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Default Quite possibly my first dumper.... Ideas to try before she becomes fertilizer?

Jamil's dark mild. Pitched with nottingham (not the right yeast choice, but lets move past that). This should be an approximately 3-4% ABV brew but I didn't measure OG or FG.
Grain/Extract/Sugar % Amount Name Origin Extract SRM 74.1 5.00 lbs. Pale Malt Halcyon Great Britain 1.027 3 7.4 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt - Light Great Britain 1.002 200 7.4 0.50 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.002 120 11.1 0.75 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.004 60
Exract represented as SG.

Hops Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time 0.70 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 17.2 60 min
Brewed up 5-24, kegged and chilled 6-8 (dates are approximate). Got really hot that week and had no temp control set up. Indoor "room" temps reached 85 - fermentation occured within enclosed closet - so ferment temps probably ranged between 80* and 90*

Now, the beer is... drinkable... kinda.... but not... good.

In the wife's words, it tastes "dirty". Kind of a hot alchohol mixed with a little over ripe unidentified fruit taste and smell. I'm fairly confident that this taste is purely because of heat and not sanitation procedures.

So... she had a primary of roughly 2 weeks and has been in a cold keg for roughly 2 weeks.

So here's my dillema: time heals all things, but milds are supposed to be drunk young. This thing needs aging of some sort to let the esters die down - at which point the "freshness" will be in question.

No worries - I now have several options for temperature control... just not sure what to do with THIS beer. Any ideas on what to do? (store warm, store cold XXX weeks.) I can taste that there's a good beer behind the nasty esters - but it's just not here...

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

If you have the space to keep it, you could try it. Nottingham fermented above about 72 degrees sure does taste nasty, though. If it was almost 90, I don't think it'll improve much.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
ChickenSoop
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a light beer, that had this funky but mild sharp taste. This was at 6 weeks in the bottle. It was drinkable, but certainly not a repeat offender. My visitors would hate me if I served them this beer.

However, after 10 weeks in the bottle, the wild funky taste disappeared. Smooth indeed. It's beer as intended.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

More patience required.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I'll ditto YB. Hot alcohols don't age out, but if that isn't the problem, give it a chance.

Milds can be drunk young, but don't have to be.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I don't agree David...Hot alcohol tastes DO mellow sometimes with age...my 1.090 Belgian dark is a case in point...after 4 months it is finally losing that hot alcohol, rocket fuel taste and is mellowing nicely.

But sometimes what we think is one thing is STILL just green...

If you have the space, put the keg aside in room temp....and revisited it in a month...

We have proved on this thread Waaayyy too often the merits of patience...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/never-dump-your-beer-patience-virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Since his target ABV is around 4%, I doubt his issue is due to high alcohol "heat". Fusel alcohols that were generated during high temp fermentation would be more likely culprits. Aging won't tame those or the esters that give the "over ripe" fruit smell. It may mellow a little, but those flavors are going to be there. Another issue is that if there are enough fusel alcohols, you could have headache beer.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

+1 to the Reverend

What's tappening? :D

Old 06-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Is there going to be enough yeast activity in kegged beer to oxidize fusel oils? I know that bottle conditioning or long term storage in a secondary fermenter can tame some of the heat in high OG beers.

Still, it is always better to set aside a beer that isn't quite right. Yeast is wonderful at correcting problems with our beer. Even if it takes them a while to do it.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Keep it around for several weeks more before you think about dumping it. Plus, you can always just serve it ICE COLD to mellow down the flavors. Like 33 F / hurt-your-teeth cold. That'll tame those flavors down a bit.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Quick Reply