Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Quick brewing question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
philmin9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Quick brewing question

I had a recipe delivered to me with 3 kinds of hops. Northern Brewer, Colombus, and Cascade hops. It says to combine the northern brewer and colombus in a sack and boil for 5 minutes. and to dry hop with the cascade immediately after the finished wort is poured into the fermenter. Now in case you can't tell this is a Mr. Beer recipe. My question is, how long should i actually boil each hop type for, since i plan on doing a one hour boil of my wort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

You add the NB and Columbus into the kettle in the last 5 minutes of your 60 min boil. SInce your mr beer extract is pre-hopped, then there is no need for a bitterness addition, since that is what the hops in the extract do. The NB and the Columbus are really at this point for some fresh hop flavor and aroma. So you don't want to boil away the precious volitile oils. Then you add the cascade for the fresehest hop aroma since you are not boiling it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
philmin9
Recipes 

Thanks Rev, starting the boil right now

Quick Reply