Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Questions about shipping homebrew...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #11
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
Essentially, it's not legal, but it boils down to which agency of the government you want to run afoul of and what is the liklihood of enforcement, siezure, or civil or criminal fines.

1) It is against Federal law to ship alcohol via the USPS.
2) It's against policy to ship alcohol via Fed Ex, DHL, UPS unless you are a valid shipper of alcohol. If your package breaks, they may turn your package to your state's alcohol control board or they may return it to you, or they may dispose of it, or they may re-pack it and ship it. You are at the mercy of that employee.
3) It's undoubtedly against state law (UT inparticular) to ship beer. I read on realbeer that UT's ACB has siezed likely alcohol shipments. Google it.
4) It's against the law to ship alcohol to minors.
5) It's against the law to ship alcohol to another country without using a customs approved shipper. See beertown.org for information about their world beer contest.

So don't do #1 or #4 or #5. If you do #2, make sure your package is bulletproof. Don't identify the contents as alcohol. Dont' get insurance, etc.

#3.... just move.

Deny everything.
I love how I've seen this response copied and pasted in a couple different threads now. It is a very good answer to this question.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
Baumgartner
Recipes 

On an unrelated note i know of a few people who frequently use UPS for shipping marijuana. One guy swears by it. If they can mail weed I think a beer should be just fine.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:24 AM   #13
EvilBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I found this great blog on how to ship homebrew. http://barlowbrewing.com/2010/11/11/...and-ship-beer/

Home Brewing is NOT a cute little hobby.It IS a necessary and vital post zombie apocalypse life skill.

Evil Homebrew

Old 01-08-2014, 03:29 AM   #14
newbies13
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I've shipped before. I wouldn't use USPS as it's illegal flat out. UPS and fedex from my understanding was more grey area.

As for the actual packaging, I would make sure and put your beer bottles in ziplock bags, that way if they break or leak, the liquid won't go everywhere.

After that I just wrapped each bottle in bubble wrap and put a layer of crunched up paper all around the box.

I shipped around 60 beers to various states and had 0 problems. Beer bottles are pretty tough.

3D Blueprint for making your own 10Gal Mash tun

Quick Reply