Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Question My first brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
tim2akat2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Question My first brew

I got a 1 gallon all grain kit for my Birthday and am brewing it up tonight. I know 5 gallons just as easy but hey it was a gift. I figure if it works out I will get a 5 gallon kit and use the one gallon for test brews. It is hard to believe that the my brown wort is going to be an IPA I know I know patience will be rewarded. Now my question what should I do with the spent grains? I don't want to just throw them away. Should I dry them and feed to the squirrels and deer can they be used for something else I really appreciate any help? Thanks Tim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
Hopper450
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I toss mine in my flowerbeds but they attract flies so I try to mulch them into the ground pretty good.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1015 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2akat2 View Post
I got a 1 gallon all grain kit for my Birthday and am brewing it up tonight. I know 5 gallons just as easy but hey it was a gift. I figure if it works out I will get a 5 gallon kit and use the one gallon for test brews. It is hard to believe that the my brown wort is going to be an IPA I know I know patience will be rewarded. Now my question what should I do with the spent grains? I don't want to just throw them away. Should I dry them and feed to the squirrels and deer can they be used for something else I really appreciate any help? Thanks Tim
Make pizza dough!

Old 01-07-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
chemicalcraig
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I usually just throw mine in the compost heap, but you could use about a cup or so to add to a loaf of bread. Most of the nutrients have been stripped and unless you want to dry them out and pulverize them to make flour there isn't much to do with them besides use them as an anecdotal additive in some kind of bread product.

Primary: Imperial IPA, American Brown, Amber, Old Ale, American Stout

Old 01-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
DaDzBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2akat2 View Post
You can actually make some decent dog treats with them if you have a dog or two.. Take 2 cups of spent grains, 2 cups flour, 1 cup peanut butter, 2 eggs. shell and all if you want, wont hurt.. mix it really well .. roll it out and use a cookie cutter to what ever size is best for your dog... put them on a cookie sheet and bake at 200*F for around 2.5-3.5 hours.. but start checking them around 2 hours.. you can freeze your spent grains in freezer bags until you make the treats, but keep the Cooked dog treats airtight, should be good to keep for 2-3 weeks..

Give a man a brew, he'll waste a day, Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.....

About to : Falconer's Flight IPA
Primary : APA(Cascade), HBC342 hops IPA
Secondary:
Secondary:
Bottled : Hefeweizen, APA, Imperial Oatmeal Stout,
Kegged : APA(cascade+amarillo) , Smoked Robust Porter , Scottish Ale Export 80 Shilling

Old 01-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
GySgtLynn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I throw mine in the trash(with cans and plastic bottles) in order to fill up waste managements land resources.

Liquid Medication Brewery

Primary: Pale Ale

Secondary: None

Bottled: None

Keg: Chipotle Stout

Old 01-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2103 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

I'd go with either dog snacks or pizza crust. I bet they'd be great in a margarita pizza!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

Do whatever you can with them,cookies,bread,dog treats it doesnt take much and you will still have some left over,feed chickens, i threw them in a patch of grass that wasnt growing good in the summer and it actually filled in good after.Start composting it probably would be great for it.

Quick Reply