Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Question for Florida Panhandle Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
PavlovsCat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question for Florida Panhandle Brewers

Anyone frequent the McGuires Irish Pub and Brewery in Pensacola or Destin? I recently tasted a Scottish Ale of theirs at a brew fest in Tampa. It was excellent (I think best in show), and I've emailed them a number of times to inquire as to where I can purchase some, with no response. Anyone know if they sell this commercially? Or is it a brew pub beer only. Even better - Anyone have the recipe?

"If you don't try it this year, you'll just be another year older when you do" - Warren Miller

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I actually met the head brewer at the Escambia Bay Homebrewers St Patrick's Day party. He raved about my beer.

They just brew for in house consumption AFAIK.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 03-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
PavlovsCat
Recipes 

I must have tasted 30 beers at the fest, and aside from the DFH 90 which I love, their Scotch Ale was really tasty. What a tease. Now I have to go to Pensacola, and wade through all the drunk, bikini clad, wet t-shirted, bare breasted co-eds, just to get a taste. Are we still talking about beer?

"If you don't try it this year, you'll just be another year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Old 03-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Sharkeydude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Having lived down there for ten years and homebrewing during my stay, I have to admit that McGuire's Scottish and Santa Rosa Bay Jefferson Nut Brown were the two I never tried to replicate because I too enjoyed wading through the bare breasted....co-eds just to get a taste. Some things just can't be replicated.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I stopped by McGuire's in Pensacola on my honeymoon and had some of their Red Ale. On my way out I inquired about taking a growler with me and they said they don't sell their beer outside of the pub. I believe they will let you take some of their yeast with you though if you are a homebrewer, but the brewmaster wasn't there when I stopped by.

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
SGT Brew
Recipes 

McGuires is a great brewpub. I live near the destin branch (Stationed at hurlburt field). The head brewers are really helpful to home brewers they will show you around their brewery on request and they will also let you take home some of their proprietary yeast for free. They do sell one beer I know of outside their pub and that is their Irish red ale. It is bottled and sold in georgia. Ill be stopping by Mcguires tonight to have a few pints with friends before they head to the sandbox.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
PavlovsCat
Recipes 

Default No Growlers in Fla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsay View Post
I stopped by McGuire's in Pensacola on my honeymoon and had some of their Red Ale. On my way out I inquired about taking a growler with me and they said they don't sell their beer outside of the pub. I believe they will let you take some of their yeast with you though if you are a homebrewer, but the brewmaster wasn't there when I stopped by.
In Florida, it's not legal to buy beer from a bar for consumption outside the premises. So no growlers in Florida.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #8
ghpeel
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I wonder if the guys who ran the old Panama City Brewhouse are the same ones as the McGuires guys (PC is 1 town over from Destin). The PC Brewhouse was the place that showed me what good beer was. They had $1 pints of freshly brewed beer from 4-6pm, and I started going at first cause it was cheap, but grew to love the "real" beer taste.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 03-28-2009, 01:46 AM   #9
SGT Brew
Recipes 

Yup they own both brewhouses. The Mcguires in pensacola is their first brewery they opened up years ago and the destin branch is their newest one.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:25 AM   #10
ghpeel
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Man, that's awesome. As I recall, they had a light BMC-Clone, a Pale ale (which I thought meant "weak" at the time, hehe), a Red ale (tasty), a Nut Brown Ale and a Stout. They had seasonal stuff too. There was something they did that tasted so funny to me at the time, like spicy and odd. It might have been a hefe now that I think about it. And they did a porter that really made me look at beer differently. Ahhhhhh I feel like I'm talking about my first time!!!

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Quick Reply