The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Question for Cocoa Powder In Porter Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 AM   #21
skyzo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ive made alot of good beers, but the only one thats ever went terribly wrong was my chocolate porter.

I added the Cocoa Powder during the boil, and it even tastes alright going into the bottles, but it was HORRIBLE no matter how long I let it age. I let some of them age 10 months and still tasted like ****. I even had a friend almost puke when drinking one. I never did find out what went wrong with it, and I brewed an IPA after that with the same equipment, and no infection in that one, tasted awesome. Needless to say I dont think ill be trying any chocolate porters soon, that one scared me for life

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #22
RallyintheValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

8 oz by weight

I threw in one 8 oz carton of hershey's cocoa

Old 01-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #23
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was planning by weight, as well.

Here's another question, and I wonder if lactose is needed. If I summarize what I plan to do as follows, do you think I am going to add lactose?

1.) Take an imperial stout recipe (i.e. great divide yeti), and up the chocolate malt or add cocoa. I may increase the recipe from 0.75 lb to 1.75 lb. I picked up an extra pound just for this purpose. The recipe already calls for 0.75, but I'm not sure if the great divide has a chocolate undertone because I've never had it. I've had their chocolate yeti, and I'm trying to actually hit that. So, I'm just trying to work my way from the base stout recipe.

2.) Add cocoa powder or nibs. If I add the powder, I'm looking at 0.25-0.5 lb of cocoa to the boil. I have no chocolate extract right now, so I'm assuming I won't have it.

3.) I'm guessing the cocoa/malt addition will make the already potentially bitter stout, very bitter. Does it make sense to plan to add 8 oz of lactose? I don't want this to be sweet. I just want to avoid it being bitter, and maybe give it a little more body. I don't want to taste test at bottling because I'm sure an imperial stout that is still green is going to be close to undrinkable as is.

Also, I may not be able to find lactose locally. The local shop is sold out, and I it may be one of those things he can't keep in or takes a while to get back in stock. I'm planning for them not having it. So, I may need to order it from somewhere else.

I'm sure it will be good either way, but I'd like to get some thoughts on what you guys would do.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #24
RallyintheValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Newgene,

As for #3, the 8oz of cocoa in my stout have definitely contributed significant bitterness. I wouldn't say it's overpowering though.

I think you'd be safe without the cocoa if you up the chocolate malt and throw a few nibs in the secondary.

I can't speak to adding lactose because I hate the overpowering taste from it. I am a HUGE stout guy, but can't stand milk stouts.

One person suggested I could add a vanilla bean to the secondary to bring out the chocolate too. Makes sense I guess. That's how it usually goes in baking, so why not brewing. Flavors are flavors.

Good luck

Old 02-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #25
mhermetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Was this ever solved? Think I'm having the same issue with my Porter.
Smells like chocolate but as soon as I taste it I get hit with it. I can't place my finger on it. Its somewhere between tasting like a green beer and just having a mouth full of cocoa powder in my mouth.

It's been 5 weeks and it still looks like mud so maybe it is the powder im tasting... But. I've had 99% dark chocolate before and it never bugged me as much as this taste.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #26
RallyintheValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm no expert, but I won't use cocoa powder again. There is a definite "taste". Can't put my finger on it, but it sure as heck ain't chocolate. It will never see my boil again.

I can't speak for them, but I haven't heard a bad thing about cocoa nibs.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #27
mhermetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It may be the first batch I dump. However I have nothing in the pipeline so I guess I'll hold onto it as long as possible.

Think next time I try it I will do a small 1 gallon batch and try Chip's way from BTV. Melting bakers chocolate and throwing that into the boil

Old 02-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #28
spearko520
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
I have a chocolate porter recipe that contains no chocolate. you can get chocolate flavors from the right grains.

just sayin, using cocoa powder or real chocolate isn't the only way to pull it off.
i've done two chocolate chocolates, one, a wheat w powder in the brew, which was very bitter and undrinkable for about six months. It was not a hop like bitterness, much more astringent (just like raw chocolate is). It did eventually smooth out and it was an enjoyable beer. My second time, i tried nibs infused in vodka into the secondary. I think the oils in the cocoa affect the head retention a bit, but kind of like the first one- time made this beer a lot better. I am not wholly convinced that the tradeoff is worth using it in beer- i think that malkore is correct, that you can get as much chocolate complexity from the right grains- less fuss. The upside is that i regularly soak nibs in vodka- it's a fantastic liquor!

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #29
RallyintheValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know if you've had Rogue's Chocolate Stout, but it's the best true chocolate flavor I've ever come across. They add chocolate extract.
For me, next time I'm either using extract or choco nibs.
I'm no longer messing with chocolate in the boil. There are plenty of purists who will tell you not to add extract, but I say add anything that makes your beer taste how you want it to taste.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #30
mhermetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I agree completely. The troubles or being a "purist" are ridiculous. If I can get more chocolate flavor from extract then I'm all for it. I basically just wasted $35 with this experiment.

The thing I don't understand is surfing this forum it seems many had success with the powder method. I'm seriously in doubt of that claim right now.

Quick Reply