The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Question for Cocoa Powder In Porter Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
malkore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have a chocolate porter recipe that contains no chocolate. you can get chocolate flavors from the right grains.

just sayin, using cocoa powder or real chocolate isn't the only way to pull it off.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
ak40kush
Recipes 

I Have a chocolate stout fermenting that I used pure cocoa powder in my boil. although after reading this and how much you all put in I am now thinking that I did not put enough in. now I am wondering what i can do to fortify that chocolate taste without going through the hassle of adding it dry to a secondary so I dont have the unsavoury tastes your talking about.

Punk Rock Brewer

Old 06-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #13
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
I have a chocolate porter recipe that contains no chocolate. you can get chocolate flavors from the right grains.
I don’t. Care to share?

What grain or combination of grains give the chocolate flavor?

Old 07-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
Mahanoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a "Nutella" stout that I just started fermenting two days ago - 8 oz. Hershey's cocoa powder with 10 minutes left in the boil and I'm going to age it on 4 oz. of cacao nibs in the secondary for a few weeks. Then a couple tablespoons of hazelnut extract at bottling to make it like Nutella. There's also a pound of lactose at the beginning of the boil to sweeten it up and balance out the chocolate bitterness.

I can tell you already that cocoa powder does some interesting things during primary. At first there were some whispers of powder on top of the kräusen that looked like a dusting of cinnamon on cappuccino foam. Well, now it looks more like chocolate pudding and there's all sorts of sh*t swirling around in there. I have a feeling it's going to need several weeks in the secondary just for all of that to settle.

Primary: Belsnickel Spiced Christmas Ale; Secondary: None; Bottled: Machandelbaum Juniper Rye Ale, Blanche de Brentli Lavender Wit, Nutella Chocolate Hazelnut Sweet Stout; Up Next: Bauerntrampl Dunkelweizen

Old 11-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
RallyintheValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default waaaay late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahanoy View Post
I have a "Nutella" stout that I just started fermenting two days ago - 8 oz. Hershey's cocoa powder with 10 minutes left in the boil and I'm going to age it on 4 oz. of cacao nibs in the secondary for a few weeks. Then a couple tablespoons of hazelnut extract at bottling to make it like Nutella. There's also a pound of lactose at the beginning of the boil to sweeten it up and balance out the chocolate bitterness.

I can tell you already that cocoa powder does some interesting things during primary. At first there were some whispers of powder on top of the kräusen that looked like a dusting of cinnamon on cappuccino foam. Well, now it looks more like chocolate pudding and there's all sorts of sh*t swirling around in there. I have a feeling it's going to need several weeks in the secondary just for all of that to settle.
I know this is from months ago... but how did yours turn out Mahanoy?
I'm brewing a chocolate hazelnut oatmeal stout next weekend, and have been curious as to how much of the chocolate to add and when to add it.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 100

For my chocolate stouts, I add the cocoa powder to the boil, and mash high for some residual sweetness to complete the chocolate flavor. Oh, and I only use Nestle unsweetened cocoa powder.

TB

1. Dry Stout 2. Dry Stout 3. Cali Common 4. Cali Common 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 58 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, German Pils (lagering), Oatmeal Blonde x2

Old 11-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #17
payton34
Recipes 

i used 16 oz. of cocoa and a pound of brown sugar in my last stout.it was delicious. got the recipe from the hbt database. chocolate espresso stout

Old 01-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #18
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am planning to add some cocoa powder to the boil of my next stout. It's actually a yeti imperial clone, but I'm trying to get it closer to the chocolate yeti. It has choc malt, but I'm thinking about 4-5 oz of cocoa to the boil to give it more of a suttle chocolate kick. I'm anxious to see any more comments on any chocolate stouts.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:05 AM   #19
RallyintheValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgene View Post
I am planning to add some cocoa powder to the boil of my next stout. It's actually a yeti imperial clone, but I'm trying to get it closer to the chocolate yeti. It has choc malt, but I'm thinking about 4-5 oz of cocoa to the boil to give it more of a suttle chocolate kick. I'm anxious to see any more comments on any chocolate stouts.
Newgene, I'm by no means a brewing veteran, but I can tell you that I just tasted my Chocolate Hazelnut Stout after 3 plus weeks in the bottle, and I can barely detect the 8oz of cocoa powder I put into the boil at 10 min. I let it sit in the primary on the chocolate sludge for 3 weeks before bottling too hoping to get the maximum chocolate flavor. (oh I also used 4 oz choc malt for 5 gallon to give you an idea).

My suggestion would be to either up the chocolate malt, use cocoa nibs in the secondary (haven't tried, but after asking around about my lack of chocolate flavor from powder, seems that the consensus is that nibs get the most powerful choco flavor), or both.

Depending on how chocolaty you want it, you could also add extract at bottling. If you've had Rogue's Chocolate Stout, that is how they pack the punch.

Hope that helps

Old 01-07-2011, 03:09 AM   #20
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgene View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyintheValley View Post
Newgene, I'm by no means a brewing veteran, but I can tell you that I just tasted my Chocolate Hazelnut Stout after 3 plus weeks in the bottle, and I can barely detect the 8oz of cocoa powder I put into the boil at 10 min. I let it sit in the primary on the chocolate sludge for 3 weeks before bottling too hoping to get the maximum chocolate flavor. (oh I also used 4 oz choc malt for 5 gallon to give you an idea).

My suggestion would be to either up the chocolate malt, use cocoa nibs in the secondary (haven't tried, but after asking around about my lack of chocolate flavor from powder, seems that the consensus is that nibs get the most powerful choco flavor), or both.

Depending on how chocolaty you want it, you could also add extract at bottling. If you've had Rogue's Chocolate Stout, that is how they pack the punch.

Hope that helps
You guys might benefit from clarifying if you're measuring your cocoa powder by weight or volume, since "ounces" can be both, and the difference can be significant.

Just a thought.

TB
1. Dry Stout 2. Dry Stout 3. Cali Common 4. Cali Common 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 58 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, German Pils (lagering), Oatmeal Blonde x2

Quick Reply