Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Question about underpitching?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
thelorax121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Question about underpitching?

I brewed up a robust porter on Saturday, and was forced to pitch a smack pack of wyeast American Ale after it had been prepping for about 5 hours, because the LHBS was out of dry yeast. I know that I under pitched the yeast, and fermentation got off to a vigorous start about 24 hours after pitching. My question is, will this underpitch result in my porter being overly estery, or will the heavy flavors of the beer mask them somewhat, and also, will I have to repitch some yeast to get it to fully attenuate? The OG was 1.065, and I am fermenting at about 69-70 degrees. I am about to rack some blonde ale fermented with safale 05 and I could repitch a portion of the slurry today to overcome the inital underpitch if that would make any difference. Thanks for the input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

24 hours isn't a problem. The attenuation range for Wyeast American Ale isn't much less than S-05

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

I get more fusel taste when I underpitch. You shouldn't have to pitch more yeast. They will eventually eat everything they can.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post
You shouldn't have to pitch more yeast. They will eventually eat everything they can.
This is not always true. One of the major problems with not pitching enough yeast is underattenuation.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, well Ill check the gravity in a few days and see if I need to give the yeasties a bit of back up

Old 04-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
CharlosCarlies
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_e5 View Post
This is not always true. One of the major problems with not pitching enough yeast is underattenuation.
I think in this case he's fine. 1056 is a pretty good attenuator and being a more complex beer, it should mask any possible off flavors.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Underpitching is not all about underattenuation. By underpitching you are forcing the yeast to bud off too many daughter cells. You really want to keep it to 4 or 5 buds. You get more than 7 or so going on it scars the cell wall and leaves it far less pliable, meaning they have a harder time regulating what goes in and out. This leaves a lot of alcohol inside the cell which is one of the least healthy things for it and will lead to no re absorption of diacetyl or acetaldehyde and possible autolysis.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You will be absolutely fine. I do not make a starter for my robust porter and I never have problems with it. I usually use American II (1274???) for that beer, but 1056 will do just fine. I would not worry about it.

Quick Reply