*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 687 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 632

As others have said, include protein-rich malts and adjuncts, and ensure your glassware is clean, with no remaining trace of any Jet-Dry-like additives.

I always add 6-8 oz of Carafoam to every recipe I brew anyway, just for insurance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
brewcephus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Well, unfortunately I haven't started brewing AG yet, I'm still doing extract. I will try some of your ideas though.

I have one question, how long should they be refrigerated before opening. Currently, I have all my bottles in a closet conditioning at a nice 70-72*. I only put a couple in the fridge at a time to keep me from drinking them all in one setting, lol.

I've noticed in a couple of different threads where people are talking about putting the beer in the fridge for a couple of weeks, does that do anything for head retention or is that just for cold crashing/conditioning purposes. Mostly my beer is only in the fridge overnight and I drink it the next day, 2-3 at a time.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 687 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcephus View Post
I have one question, how long should they be refrigerated before opening.
At least a couple of days, I'd say a week or more would be ideal. It doesn't do anything for head retention, it simply allows for the CO2 in the headspace of the bottle to dissolve back into the beer as it chills.

CO2 is more soluble the colder the beer. So at room temperature, it's not as soluble as when the beer is at fridge temperatures. Consequently, the pressure in the neck of the bottle is higher, and there is less CO2 dissolved in the beer. As the beer cools, it becomes better able to dissolve the CO2, and the pressure in the headspace of the bottle drops as CO2 goes into solution. The result is better carbonation.

But no implications for head retention or lacing.

Quick Reply