Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The Quality of Beer Today: Why our Children will be Lucky

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default The Quality of Beer Today: Why our Children will be Lucky

I was just thinking about our little community here, and how most of our children will probably grow up to appreciate their parents' passion for good craft beer and homebrew way before beers they delve into crappy selections like Bud Light and Corona. That's awesome. I'm kind of jealous.

I remember my college years, and how I found it such a chore to chug down Keystone Lights at a party just to get a buzz from a flavor I absolutely loathed. I didn't even enjoy beer until one day when I was about 24, I manned up and forced myself to delve outside my comfort zone to try some intimidating Tripels, Sours, IIPA's, and Imperial Stouts.

Have any of your children of age taken a liking to quality beer yet; or even the hobby in general? I'm still without children, but I find it inevitable with all the beer I brew, that someday my son and I will share a homebrew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
ETCS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My oldest is 20 (will be 21 in a couple months) he samples the stuff I make and enjoys it. I don't know what he drinks when he is out with his friends in college....then again...i don't really want to know.

Brewers make wort, Yeast make beer!!!!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 68

The problem is most college kids aren't drinking to appreciate beer......they are drinking to get drunk. They want the most bang for the buck in most cases.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 02-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2098 Times on 1837 Posts
Likes Given: 1544

My one son is in his early 30's. Since I started brewing craft beer,he's gone whole hog on trying different ones,& taking brewery tours. He only drinks craft beer now. Including mine on holidays & bbq's.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 41 Posts

I'm hoping my kid will pick up a general appreciation of experiencing new things, not just when it comes to beer. She's only seven months old, so we have plenty of time to work on that.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
The problem is most college kids aren't drinking to appreciate beer......they are drinking to get drunk. They want the most bang for the buck in most cases.
True. But I am not talking about college kids in general. I am talking about the kids of passionate craft beer appreciator parents and especially those who are avid homebrewers. There's always a good beer on tap and something new to try.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
Monkey55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
I don't see this as a problem. It's a Rite of Passage.

E

Old 02-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 219 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Not only our kids are lucky but the entire future beer drinking public is lucky. We're one of the driving forces behind the general improvement of beer available to the general public. When today's kids grow up the selection of beer is going to be light years better than when we (I'm 35) grew up.

The future is bright.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #9
gstrawn
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog
As I college student I absolutely disagree. While a freshman, yea, I admit I abided by that philosophy. But now most of my colleagues enjoy good quality beer and its actually grown a lot. Most people look down on exclusive BMC drinkers.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4616 Times on 3352 Posts
Likes Given: 903

Neither one of my kids like beer very much. My son likes my oatmeal stout but not much else, and my daughter doesn't care for any of my beers. She LOVES my hard lemonade, and I kegged some for her son's birthday party a couple of years ago and she liked that alot. Neither one drink much of my wine, either, as they both like sweeter wines than I tend to make.

I think it's age- I think liking bitter things comes with some "palate maturity", as well as liking dry wines instead of sweet ones.

Quick Reply