Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Q for Portland OR area brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 11:34 PM   #1
rew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Q for Portland OR area brewers

Hi guys,

It looks like I'm moving up to Portland. My office is near the 217/I5 interchange (Tigard area).

So I'll likely do my home shopping near there.

How is the tap water quality (for brewing AG) in that area?

Thanks!
Bob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I can't address that specific area, but water quality up here tends to be extremely good, as in very low mineral content.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's the BeerSmith water page: http://www.beersmith.com/Water/Waters.htm . I still have family in Seattle and also some relatives in Portland, so I had been looking at the water data from up there, as I'm trying to get my brother started brewing. As david_42 mentions, the water there is very low in mineral content. It's comparable to Pilsen. Interesting that beer styles historically developed based on the local water chemistry. Nowdays brewers, homebrewers in particular, can modify local water chemistry to suit the style of beer they want to brew. If beerstyles still followed local water chemistry, the Northwest would be givng us delicate pilseners and lagers. But what do we get from the Northwest? Some of the most brutally hopped, high gravity ales around. Go figure.

Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Quick Reply