Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Putting together a beer sampler for a non-craft beer drinker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Apendecto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Putting together a beer sampler for a non-craft beer drinker

I'd like to put together a 12'er of beer with 2 of each beer of the following styles for my buddy at work. And I need one more style. The idea is to give him a wide range of beer that I like, not necessarily the next step after BMC. That's why wheats, ambers, blonds, Belgiums, etc. are out.

Pale (Sierra Nevada)
IPA (Bell's Two Hearted)
Brown (Big Sky Moose Drool)
Porter (Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald)
Stout (Guinness Foreign Extra ???)
???

Here are the rules:
-Should be "craft" beer but something I have around here.
-I'd like to have each style made by a different brewery.
-Each beer should be a good example of the style and not have something like blueberries or ginger in it.
-I have to like it.
-It has to come in a 12 oz bottle or can.

I'm having a tough time with the last category. For the last category, I was thinking Red but all I could come up with is Founders Red's Rye (which is awesome but half the brews would be pretty hoppy). Any ideas for a maltier red beer or a different category all together?

As for the stout, it seems like a cop-out to use Guinness (but the FES is really good). I love Sierra Nevada Stout and Great Lakes Black Out Stout, but I've used both of those breweries. Hmmm...

What would your list look like?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

In your anti-bmc arrogance, you're cutting out some awesome beers that are nothing like a light lager style- wheats, ambers, blonds, Belgiums, etc. are nothing like a light lager. I mean how is a Belgian Quad or Tripel like a bud light? How is Hoegaarden, one of the most amazing and sublime beers on the planet like it?

Heck if you're being snobby A sierra Nevada Pale ale is more akin to bmc than Bell's Amber Ale is. Or any ale for that matter. Most folks would consider snpa "the next step after bmc" for many folks.

If you're going to be a brew-******, then at least maybe you need to know more about beer styles yourself.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
ajbram
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd swap out the guinness for a Left Hand Milk Stout, and maybe add a wheat for the last category.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
krenshaw

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 27

what revvy said..

and i see your in michigan.. anything from founders would be good.. and i just had a barrel aged stout from new holland i think it was that was remarkably smooth :-)

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. oxy :-(
Keg 1: Apfelwein | Keg 2: BlackEyePA version2 | Keg 3: Summer Saison
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 12-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1925 Times on 1693 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Well,some of the ones you left out might be better for a non-craft drinker to start with. So here goes;
Franziskaner Weissbier (no flavors from fruity esters)
Yuengling Black & Tan
Great Lakes Commodor Perry IPA or
DFH 60 min IPA
Rouge Dead Guy ale
Paulaner Salvator Doppel Bock (still brewed as an ale since 1569)
Paulaner Hefeweitsen
That's all I can think of atm. ***PS-Boy,y'all are quick this morning! Not one post when I started thinkin through my fingers...

Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
In your anti-bmc arrogance, you're cutting out some awesome beers that are nothing like a light lager style- wheats, ambers, blonds, Belgiums, etc. are nothing like a light lager. I mean how is a Belgian Quad or Tripel like a bud light? How is Hoegaarden, one of the most amazing and sublime beers on the planet like it?

Heck if you're being snobby A sierra Nevada Pale ale is more akin to bmc than Bell's Amber Ale is. Or any ale for that matter. Most folks would consider snpa "the next step after bmc" for many folks.

If you're going to be a brew-******, then at least maybe you need to know more about beer styles yourself.
It's not. I just don't like wheats, ambers, Belguims, etc.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apendecto View Post
It's not. I just don't like wheats, ambers, Belguims, etc.
But is this for you or for a friend? Are you sharing something, or trying to shove your tastes down his throat? If he's a bmc drinker, rather than giving him something he's gonna hate, why don't you try to ease him in gradually?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbram View Post
I'd swap out the guinness for a Left Hand Milk Stout, and maybe add a wheat for the last category.
Good call on the Left Hand. I'll see if I have it around here.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
laxilla
Recipes 

Honestly I would go with Barney flats oatmeal stout over Guinness but that's just me. It's an amazing beer.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But is this for you or for a friend? Are you sharing something, or trying to shove your tastes down his throat?
Nope, not for me. But it would be nice to talk to him about stuff we could possibly have in common. The idea is not to "convert him" he's had a few of my homebrews that he likes and doesn't really know where to begin with craft beer. I would have nothing to say about a wheat or another style I'm not a fan of so it's not going in. I would have a completely different list if the idea was "the next beers to try after BMC". If you aren't a fan of my idea, that's fine, but that's what I'm going with and the insults aren't necessary.

Quick Reply