Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Purchase: AG System or Kegerator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #21
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm sorta in the same boat, but I'm definately planning on getting a kegerator here before too long. I have 6ish cases of bottles that I have to store, clean, sanitize, fill, botttle, clean up afterwards etc. Bottling is a long procedure, and it requires assistance, I can't wait to start kegging. 10 gallons of beer in the kegerator at a time. ahhhh yes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2007, 10:58 PM   #22
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Here's the trick woth keggorators.

Get a USED fridge. Large or small, often older firdges you can get for free. Get your taps and tower USED. There are many beverage supply places that deal with your local bars that will have a ton of used equipment.

The kegs, well you sometimes pick up them up real cheap of pepsi or can spend a small fortune for them. There are a few online palces in the US that aare selling them pretty cheap right now.

I paid $80 for and almost new Danby bar fridge (simular to the sanyo) out of the paper. And aboutt $100 for my tower, taps, hoses and connectors from a local beverage supply place. All this in Canadian $.

I didn't buy my co2 tank. I rent a swappable 20lb tank from Praxair. I can;t fit my tank inside my fridge but I donlt care. I actually prefer having an external tank. I just fed an air line into my fridge.

The regualtor you'll have to buy, but they are not that expensive and the beverage palce might have some used ones. I just have one reg that is split into three lines. I can't control my presures seperately, but most of my beers fall within a simular co2 level anyway. My fridge can only fit 2 kegs so I use the third line for misc things like pushing beer from one keg to another, etc.

Now, go for the cheapest setup you can, and leave yourself room to expand. A single reg for now and later you can do the multiple reg thing. If you have the room, go for a full size used fridge, preferably for free, and fit 2 or 3 shanks into the door. I think you caqn fit 4 kegs in there if you need to. You can add the extra 1 or 2 shanks, faucets later. Like I said Used stuff is key for keeping costs down.

Or you can try and find a used bar fridge, or "wine cooler" (mines was a wine cooler. I just moved the thermoeter lead so that it ran cooler). drill a hole in the top and add a tower.

oh, and i use compressed air quick disconects and the seem realtively cheap. Or you can just hard wire the hoses in.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply