Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Purchase: AG System or Kegerator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 01:55 AM   #11
D2T
Brew Monkey
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Kegerator.

Kegging chages the game completely. I was getting tired of brewing because of the bottling, but kegging is so much easier.

So after you make things easy, THEN think about complicating it with all grain.
I agree with Cheese on this one. I got the kegerator worked out, and then went to AG. The kegerator made brewing much more enjoyable because I hated bottling....I may just be lazy though. I didn't even have to cap, cause I had grolsch bottles but still too much hassle compared to the beauty of kegging

That, and your friends'll think you're cooler cause you have a kegerator. And women will find you more attractive....as long as they sample a sizeable amount of your kegged beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2007, 03:13 AM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I did both at the same time and can honestly say either one, taken ONE at a time, is great. I actually think the kegger is going to be a little more costly so tackle that first.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-29-2007, 03:45 AM   #13
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

You could always go the poor mans route with the AG system and out the money into the keggerator then upgrade your AG system when you can afford it.

All you need is a cooler or bucket. When I first got into AG I used a plastic bucket for a mash tun and use a piece of coper, made into a circle with thin slots in the bottom attached to a siphon hose and siphoned the wort. I batch sparged at the time. The only thing you can't skimp on is a kettle.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 04-29-2007, 04:01 AM   #14
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys Fine Consumptibles
You could always go the poor mans route with the AG system and out the money into the keggerator then upgrade your AG system when you can afford it.

All you need is a cooler or bucket. When I first got into AG I used a plastic bucket for a mash tun and use a piece of coper, made into a circle with thin slots in the bottom attached to a siphon hose and siphoned the wort. I batch sparged at the time. The only thing you can't skimp on is a kettle.
This is the way I would do it. AG on the cheap and get the kegorator. You can always improve your AG system over time. You can skimp on the kettle to BTW if you get another kettle the size of the one you use for extract and do two boils for one batch. If the budget is still too tight for the poor man's AG system and kegging I would go with kegging.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:35 AM   #15
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys Fine Consumptibles

Yep, I agree here. Get the kegerator, and do cheap AG until you can upgrade.

My first AG batches were on the stove top, using two cheap 5 gallon pots and it was all fine. Chances are you have one pot and a chiller already. So add a 5 - 10 cooler mash tun and a good thermometer, and you are set.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:26 AM   #16
Ninkasi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2T
That, and your friends'll think you're cooler cause you have a kegerator. And women will find you more attractive....as long as they sample a sizeable amount of your kegged beer.
I didn't consider the added attractiveness I would have with women. That is a major plus. Also, I would like my friends to think I was cool because of my personality and companionship....but if they are shallow and simply enjoy my company because I have fresh, tapped beer in my living room I could live with that too

It looks like the kegerator is winning out here.

Secondary: PM Oatmeal Stout

Bottled: 1st Partial-Mash (IPA), Cletus' Slackjawed Yokel "Eye Pee Eh", Smarmy Marmot Kolsh, Bunson and Beaker Bock

Up next: World Domination

Old 04-29-2007, 07:27 AM   #17
Ninkasi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

EDIT: Double post. Oops.

Secondary: PM Oatmeal Stout

Bottled: 1st Partial-Mash (IPA), Cletus' Slackjawed Yokel "Eye Pee Eh", Smarmy Marmot Kolsh, Bunson and Beaker Bock

Up next: World Domination

Old 04-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #18
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

i'd say kegerator. once you start kegging more you're not going to be pleased with the cost associated with pm for very long. and moving into a 10 gallon system with a kegerator already in place will be the ticket.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #19
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Both are cool - drinking a beer made from real grain ONLY, and pulling a pint in your own home. Going AG costs about $200 to do it adequately. Kegerator is upwards of $500 with new parts.

That being said, If you are happy with the quality of your beers as of present, go with a kegerator.

I found that just having the means to control my fermentation temps ($70) improved my beer more than going AG alone ($200 mostly DIY stuff).

Whatever you choose, you won't regret it.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #20
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I had my kegerator before going AG and I also had a lot of the nesessary things already to do AG with so going AG wasn't a big cost to me.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Quick Reply