Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pumpkin skin in wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
shoestealer17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pumpkin skin in wort

So I recently made a pumpkin ale, I did it as an extract beer, 5 gal batch. I cleaned, cooked, pureed, and added rice hulls to one pie pumpkin and added it 30 min into my boil. Trouble is Ive never cooked a fresh pumpkin before and didn't realize I had to separate the pumpkin meat from the outside skin. So the outside skin was blended up with the pumpkin meat (I could see some of the skin as small orange pieces) and added to my beer. Im not worried about any chunks, most were strained out, others will settle out, Im just worried if the pumpkin skin will have added off flavors to my beer during the 30 min boil.
Any one had any experience with this?
Thanks for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
willrodgers5050
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I don't know what will happen!!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
keesh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did you taste the wort when you took your reading? Trust your senses, man. If it tastes fine I am sure it will be fine. If it tastes weird, then you can just add extra spices to cover it up and call it a day.

Primary - 1 Gal JAOM, Belgian IPA, Pumpkin ale
Secondary - 5-way split Breakfast Imperial Stout, 2 Gal Traditional mead
Bottled - Kolsch, Pliny the Younger clone, Centennial Blonde, Alpine's Nelson clone, Apfelwein, QuicknDirty Cider
On deck - EdWort's Haus Pale

Old 09-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
shoestealer17
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmmmm... I didn't taste the wort before I started fermentation, maybe ill go ahead and do that. I just cant find anything on this, it appears most people aren't dumb enough to live the skin on the pumpkin no matter what they're using it for.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
heteloto
Recipes 

Oddly enough I was wondering earlier what would happen if you added skin. I know when I make pumpkin soup I discard the skin but mostly for texture reasons. The skin itself is as edible as any squash....just not really that wonderful to chew. I would imagine the ski would add a mild nutty flavor and possibly a slight earthy note.

Please keep me posted...

Old 09-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 548 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 418

I think it'll probably drop out of suspension first, get covered by trub, and have no noticeable effect on your beer.

Quick Reply