Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pumpkin! The great debate!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 AM   #31
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1024 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 2733

Okay...

Touching back on this thread I started that seems to have waken up again. I did indeed get what I considered a slight taste of pumpkin in the aforementioned beer, although it was very subtle. I later brewed a pumpkin porter in which I used pumpkin that I grilled over charcoal. This time the pumpkin flavor was slightly more prevalent, with a smoke character from the grilling (which was really freakin good BTW). Nukebrewer tried both of my pumpkin brews. Hey Nuke, did you taste pumpkin? His pumpkin lager tasted a lot like my pumpkin amber. I noticed the same subtle pumpkin taste in his.

Have I done a test batch without pumpkin to compare? No! Could the perception of pumpkin taste have just been in my mind? Sure it could have! Do I care? Not at all! Will I use pumpkin in my future pumpkin beers? You're d@mn right I will...

Long story short... Do what you believe or like. No need to argue it till cows come home!

nukebrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 03:03 AM   #32
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2703 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 5850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Nukebrewer tried both of my pumpkin brews. Hey Nuke, did you taste pumpkin? His pumpkin lager tasted a lot like my pumpkin amber. I noticed the same subtle pumpkin taste in his.
There was a subtle pumpkin note. I find it hard to distinguish between pumpkin flavor and pumpkin pie spice flavor, so it could have just been in my head, but I was picking it up. Either way they were great brews!

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 03-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #33
SpeedYellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

Probably, yes. There are tens of thousands of members, many of which don't even post but just use the forum to gather info. It wouldn't take hundreds of people doing it to disqualify your assertion though. I would take the word of even one of the many experienced brewers on the forum who have earned my respect. It's strange the things people are willing to argue about.
Funny that you're trying to troll yet saying the same thing I said above -- the word of just one trustworthy brewer who's done a comparo is worth more than the speculations of strangers. Why is that so controversial? I'm not sure you're correct that most folks posting in this thread have done such comparos though. Hopefully some of those folks will chime in, because surely some active posters have done some good testing.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #34
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

I'm sure I wasn't trying to troll, and I'm sure I never mentioned that I felt that numerous people involved in this very short thread had done these side-by-sides. I know people that have though, and I have tasted the results. Pumpkin does add something, though it is not earthshaking next to the spices and good dose of caramel malt typically found in pumpkin ales.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #35
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1024 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 2733

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post
Funny that you're trying to troll yet saying the same thing I said above -- the word of just one trustworthy brewer who's done a comparo is worth more than the speculations of strangers. Why is that so controversial? I'm not sure you're correct that most folks posting in this thread have done such comparos though. Hopefully some of those folks will chime in, because surely some active posters have done some good testing.
Why so angry? Bottlebomber is a brewer that I respect on this forum, yet I have no clue who you are! If you don't agree with him, that's fine. No need to accuse him of being a troll.

Angry people that are intent on provoking a response or insist on an ideal are the true trolls on this forum. Just saying....

People Like This 
Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #36
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
The Great Pumpkin finds your lack of faith most disturbing.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #37
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyKettleBrewing View Post
The Great Pumpkin finds your lack of faith most disturbing.

you won't like the Great Pumpkin when he's disturbed.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #38
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Pumpkin shall not kill Pumpkin! Love the pic, thanks for the laugh...and ideas.

Quick Reply