Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Psychology of another person's homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #11
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

i pry for honest answers. "it's good!" doesn't cut it. tell me what you like about it...or what you don't. always have made good brew, though. we'll see how it turns out with my current keg of hefeweizen at the party saturday. i'm sure it'll be gone in 30 minutes just like last time

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #12
Melana
Up to no good....
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1497 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 953

Having not sent any of my brew out into the world I can only say that I hope people like my brews and if they don't please tell me why! I am a little nervous sending my first brewed for critique but oh well.
*still patiently waiting for my IPA to condition....*

Old 05-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #13
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The way I see it, if you give the same brew to 4 different people and 3 of them tell you flatly "That is the BEST beer I ever had". Well then I'd say you got something. Another factor to this is sometimes you give someone a brew that isn't well suited to their palate (like giving a really hopcentric beer to a malty beer lover)...chances are you might get fair comments, but they will tell you "Well I didn't like the hops". So learning to distinguish people's palates is a part of the equation as well imo.

I normally know roughly how good a brew I've made is. I learned to do this with my food creations over the years. I can gauge fairly well where my dish will fall...and sometimes I am not shooting for the stars....sometimes I want something basic. I do the same thing with beer. Learn to be your biggest critic.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #14
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

It definately depends on the target audience too. If the recipient is an avid drinker of GOOD beer and not bmc then they will be more likely to give you a more honest assessment. If it is another homebrewer, well, they will either be brutally honest or lie so as to not hurt your feelings depending on their personality.

I was in a homebrew competition recently and there was a "people's choice" part of the evening where we sampled about 23 different homebrews. It was great fun. I can honestly say there was only one beer I could not even drink more than a sip of. Everyone at my table agreed it tasted like paint stripper.

Other beers ranged from excellent to eh...

To be honest though we were all pretty sloshed at that point having a free bar with great microbrews all evening. I did not even know which of the samples was my own

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 05-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #15
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Have a party with your beer and some of your group's consensus beer of choice for a party.

The next day empty the almost full keg of consensus beer on the lawn and return the keg.
I hear ya brother. I had a birthday party and I bought two cases of good German beer and at the end, I still had two cases of good German beer. Can't get much better than that.

I've reached the point with my beers that I couldn't give a rats a$$ what anyone else thinks about my beers cause when I pour a pint of my Haus Pale, Bavarian Hefe, or now my Kölsch, I take a sip and marvel at the fact that I created it. I find it simply amazing that I'm able to produce beer that IMHO is superior to a number of commercial micros. Color me bias and perhaps an EAC or simply just obsessed. I'm very confident that any true beer lover would enjoy my standard beers and I'm content with that.

I'm going to have some fun next week as I take a quart of Haus Pale, Kölsch, and my Apfelwein to Vegas for a convention. I have good friend from Minnasota (dontcha know) who is a Bud drinker and he wants to try my wares. Should be an interesting test. If he doesn't like it, then thats just more for me before we hit the black jack tables.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #16
lgtg
Recipes 

Default my "cut & dry" approach

I prospected four or five people to give me beer to and asked them if they liked home or micro brews, all said yes. All I asked each person was to evaluate the beer on taste, looks and smell. Anyone who said that they couldn't drink it because it was cloudy or too dark, I never gave them another beer. Anyone who gave me some lame feedback or took three weeks to drink a couple beers and get back to me, never got another beer. Anyone who came back one to two days later and said either it tasted like crap or they liked it is still getting beer today.

I seek to seperate "the sheep from the goats."

I have applied some of this pshychology however, and have found that the first helpful thing to do is establish some "knowns" or truths about myself in relation to my homebrew and others.

1. I am, by nature, inclined to like my beer better than anyone else.
2. In accordance with the above nature, I am more likely to ignore or deny some of my honebrew's defects or shortcomings. (not on my own congnizence, but again, relative to others tasting it.) (IE: "c'mon!! It's not THAT
bad!!)
3. People, no matter how enthusiastic they are about beer, will never meet my standard of enthusiasm when they accpept or taste my homebrew.
4. I must remember that my perspective or "world view" of the joy of homebrewing will most likely not be shared with anyone else unless they home brew as well.

If I can keep the above in perspective when I joyfully and with great excitement and anticipation present beer to others, I will keep my expextations low and adhere to the first paragraph.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #17
lgtg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Color me bias and perhaps an EAC or simply just obsessed. I'm very confident that any true beer lover would enjoy my standard beers and I'm content with that.

Awright, call me a noob (or worse if you like) but what does this mean!?

Old 05-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #18
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgtg
4. I must remember that my perspective or "world view" of the joy of homebrewing will most likely not be shared with anyone else unless they home brew as well..
Well put and very important to remember!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 05-17-2007, 04:38 PM   #19
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgtg
Awright, call me a noob (or worse if you like) but what does this mean!?

If you have to ask, you are not yet ready to know.

Search, young grasshopper. Search your soul.

No. Better yet, search past threads.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #20
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Squirrels
Search, young grasshopper. Search your soul.
Those who seek the EAC shall never find it. The true EAC becomes apparent in time to those demonstrating such qualities.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply