Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Psychology of another person's homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 02:44 AM   #1
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Psychology of another person's homebrew

The first homebrew I ever had was my own. I didn't buy an equipment kit, I assembled my own. I didn't have a guru or much guidance (other than some friendly help here on HBT), I mostly read a bunch of books and figured it out for myself. I was, however, exposed to tasty beer at a few microbreweries and had already developed a pretty good palate. So, how could that first beer not be the best beer ever? I put so much work and time into it....

But what about when someone tastes your homebrew for the first time? Assuming it's not a nasty infected mess, assuming it's tasty, what goes through their mind? What do they think? Obviously, they didn't spend six hours making it. To them, is it just another pop-top fizzy barley pop?

I've gotten compliments. I've gotten a couple requests to rebrew some things. Going back to the whole "having been to good brewpubs" thing, I know my beer is good beer. I know it's not as good as the best of the brewpubs, but I know it is undoubtedly drinkable and tasty.

But what do people really think of your beer? Did you ever wonder?

Anybody ever taste a first HB that wasn't their own? What was that like?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2007, 02:47 AM   #2
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do wonder. I ask them for a honest answer. One mate tasted my apfelwine and declared it to taste like sick. Fair call.

If you want to know what people think about your beer apparently there are competitions that you can enter and they will tell you if it is good or not.

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 05-17-2007, 02:52 AM   #3
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Well I don't want to find out if my beer is the awesomest beer in the land of beerdom.

I want to find out what people think of it. LOL

Subtle difference there.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:33 AM   #4
bobida
Recipes 

I now have ten batches of homebrew under my belt. I remember popping the very first bottle and was elated that it actually worked in the first place and fell in love with the flavor. I have managed to keep a few bottles of each batch to reference whenever I want to see how my brew stands up to the test of time and compare versus other crowd pleasers in side by side tastings. I can honestly critique myself, as well as accept feedback by my beer peers. All in all, as much as I would like to think all I brew is awesome, some are just better than others. And for that first batch, I was sadly disillusioned, it is cloudy, too yeasty and has a metallic aftertaste. I have since made the same recipe with much better results.. But I guess that is what keeps me buying more ingredients and chasing the the perfect brew.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:39 AM   #5
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Have a party with your beer and some of your group's consensus beer of choice for a party.

The next day empty the almost full keg of consensus beer on the lawn and return the keg.

That's how you know.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 05-17-2007, 03:40 AM   #6
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Have a party with your beer and some of your group's consensus beer of choice for a party.

The next day empty the almost full keg of consensus beer on the lawn and return the keg.
Or use it for a keggle.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:22 AM   #7
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibby33
I do wonder. I ask them for a honest answer. One mate tasted my apfelwine and declared it to taste like sick. Fair call.
The poor bastig. He did not follow the 3 glass rule.

Oh well, his loss.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 05-17-2007, 04:28 AM   #8
magno

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The first homebrew that I tasted was from a friend of mine. At the time I was not a huge beer fan. Most of what I had been exposed to were BMC types. I do remember that his beer had more flavor than what I was used to. Regretfully I have lost touch with this guy. I would love to give him some of what I have been making, and get his opinion.

When I give out beer, I always ask for an honest evaluation. I rarely get one. Usually I get something like "It was different" or "It was good, but I dont usually drink beer like that", or nothing at all. I gave out a stout a while ago. The recipient said that it took him a half hour to drink, and then he had to lie down. He liked the red ale that I made more. I'll take that as honest feedback.

- magno

Old 05-17-2007, 05:12 AM   #9
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

OMG...great thread.

The way I think...is if I share it, you damn well better get an honest review of it. I'm personally not one that is going to freak out if you don't like my beer cause I more than likely recognized a serious flaw before that....but if you don't like it--you damn well better tell me. Don't you owe that to the person? Privatelor public--that person wants your analysis.

Please be honest.

And yes--I do agree with olllllo's theory.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-17-2007, 05:16 AM   #10
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well me and two friends went through 5 gals. of HB last night so I guess they liked it. I still have a 30 of bud light I bought for them in the fridge that was not touched. I sent my dad some last week and the first thing out of his mouth was I am going to order a kit and get you to teach me how to brew. My mom even liked the wheat beer I sent. So, so far I have not had any complaints. Which is awesome.

Quick Reply