Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > PSA: Responding to bottling issues with "you should keg"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #31
crazybluerider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt17 View Post
I get the same feeling when I seal up a keg. Then I get an extra hour to drink beer.
You don't drink beer while you are bottling?

I keg most of my beer now but I still bottle a few. Like the beer I make for my girlfriend. I don't drink very many of them and it takes her a couple months to drink the rest. I don't want precious space tied up in my keggerator with that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #32
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost View Post
You're all doing it the hard way, bottles... kegs... I just siphon from the carboy to my mouth.

ROFLMFAO!!! That's funny right there, I don't care who ya are!

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #33
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post

My armchair observation has been that, many former bottlers who have moved on to kegging don't miss the inconsistency or labor of the former and see the kegging as a form of evolution.... Ie. I don't see a lot of keggers lamenting their situation and looking to go back to strictly bottling.
Kegs have benefits, but also have their own completely different set of problems.
cleaning, tanks, regulators, hoses, gaskets, o-rings, poppets, manifolds, staining, rust, (wait SS doesn't rust, feric oxide), faucet cleaning, faucet troubleshooting and maintenance , line foaming.

discussed openly amongst keggers, but double secret when bottlers are present.

i think throwing 5 cornies in the trunk of my car for 4th of July is easier than the same amount of bottles, but day to day, bottles are less hassle.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #34
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
Kegs have benefits, but also have their own completely different set of problems.
cleaning, tanks, regulators, hoses, gaskets, o-rings, poppets, manifolds, staining, rust, (wait SS doesn't rust, feric oxide), faucet cleaning, faucet troubleshooting and maintenance , line foaming.

discussed openly amongst keggers, but double secret when bottlers are present.

i think throwing 5 cornies in the trunk of my car for 4th of July is easier than the same amount of bottles, but day to day, bottles are less hassle.
lol @ secret!

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #35
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 560 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
I keg, then bottle...how's that for the worst of both worlds?
Truthfully, that's the better option. You can carbonate & clear in the keg, then put nice clear beer into the bottles. You don't have to worry about being perfect with mixing the priming sugar, or whether you have enough yeast left to carbonate, etc.

Kegging to carbonate, then bottling w/beergun off the keg, actually *does* solve a lot of bottling problems.

(Except for cleaning, sanitizing, capping, scrubbing labels off, etc, of course!)

The only downside is that you have to have a kegging setup to be able to do it, and once you have the kegging setup, it's really easy to get lazy and not bottle any more.

But work-wise, there's very little difference between siphoning into a bottling bucket and then filling your bottles from the spigot vs. siphoning into a keg, sealing it to carbonate, and then filling your bottles under pressure.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #36
29thfloor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You should ask them how many breweries have moved on to only kegging if that's really a better way to do it. (The answer is probably somewhere around 0).

Secondary:
Kegged: Caramel Hard Cider, Belgian Milk Stout, Double Wit
Bottled: Berliner Weisse, Oaked Tripel Brett, Dawson's Kriek, Sweet Mead

Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #37
bellam87
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost
You're all doing it the hard way, bottles... kegs... I just siphon from the carboy to my mouth.
Hilarious!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #38
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Actually it seems to be much easier and more common for breweries to start with kegs and then move to bottling, at least that is what I see with all the micros around here. On a large scale I think kegging would simpler and cheaper the only downside being you can only serve growlers to kegs directly to the customer.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #39
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29thfloor View Post
You should ask them how many breweries have moved on to only kegging if that's really a better way to do it. (The answer is probably somewhere around 0).
I don't think the homebrewer has the same distribution and packaging concerns a commercial enterprise might have. Unless the argument is homebrewers bottle to make it easier to ship to many different retail locations.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #40
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost View Post
Actually it seems to be much easier and more common for breweries to start with kegs and then move to bottling, at least that is what I see with all the micros around here. On a large scale I think kegging would simpler and cheaper the only downside being you can only serve growlers to kegs directly to the customer.
There are a bunch of micros in my area that started as keg only and moved to bottles later on for distro reasons. Even then, most don't bottle all their stuff, just the staples. The special and seasonal beers are kept keg only for simplicity among other reasons I am sure.

While there are some potential maintenance issues with a kegging system overall, I haven't found the equipment difficult to maintain or for it to provide any real problems that needed resolution. Putting a new beer on tap is as easy as racking from fermenter to a clean keg, putting it into the keezer and hookingit up. A 15min process and that includes the racking.

Quick Reply