Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > PSA: Responding to bottling issues with "you should keg"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #21
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtones84 View Post
Bottling is awesome. Easy to share, cheap etc. etc...plus, I just like the process. I usually have a friend or two who don't mind helping since I offer some homebrew while we do it. Put on some music, have a good time, bottle with your friends. I've done it alone as well, and while it can be a little stressful the first time, it gets easier.

Plus, some beers just really have to be bottle conditioned in my opinion. Saison, Biere de Garde, etc. Although some people will probably disagree with me on that one...
I agree with you. I enjoy bottling itself. Sanitizing and prepping ahead of time? Not so much. But bottling, capping, labelling... feels like completion of the process.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #22
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
I agree with you. I enjoy bottling itself. Sanitizing and prepping ahead of time? Not so much. But bottling, capping, labelling... feels like completion of the process.
I get the same feeling when I seal up a keg. Then I get an extra hour to drink beer.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If someone is looking for help in fixing a bottling issue or problem, I'm not one to give kegging as a solution.

That being said, for me as a serious winemaker, I have enough bottling drama and sanitizing and storage and all that goes along with it that I appreciate the simple sophistication of kegging.

So I'm not an anti-bottling type, but I simple will not take on two hobbies at these levels if they both have to be bottled.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #24
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

You're all doing it the hard way, bottles... kegs... I just siphon from the carboy to my mouth.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #25
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 605 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by VagabondBrew View Post
Another issue with this forum "You should search more"
This is against the Rules & Regulations set forth by the site admin. If you see this sort of behavior, report the post, and we will help educate.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
dbhokie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
Kegging isn't about being elite, it's about being evolved.
It is the all grain to bottling's extract.
So a bottle one day woke up and thought I could be more, then 2 thousand years later, after many natural selections, and additive mutations, we ended up with a keg. This bit of origin is as exciting as a birthday.

It begs to question, what came first the bottle or the keg.

So are you under-evolved until you actually start casking and doing real beer?

Wait though If they had large containers thousands of years ago, maybe even wood ones that were "kegs", doesn't that point to a de-evolution.
Abbey Ale #2
Rye Imperial Pale Ale
Primary
20 Gallons of Apple Cider
Secondary
Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter
Conditioning (Bottle)
---So Sad

Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #27
Diaperload
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

How about Godwin's law?

Hitler used to bottle so you should keg.

"I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #28
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
Ignoring the question of how valid your assertation is, I don't see the threads where all grain guys jump into extract threads and give advice like "if you'd go to all grain, you wouldn't have that problem."
Give it time, they're out there!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #29
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Give it time, they're out there!
they are subtle about it though.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #30
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Do all home brewers who start out bottling stay bottling, or do they eventually move on to kegging all or at least part of their production?

I'm actually curious, since I see no practical appeal to bottling for myself, the storage, the labor, the collecting, cleaning, etc. if I had a bottling line and was using all new glass that's a different convo entirely.

Kegging is like bottling except you're only taking care of one large bottle instead many small ones.

I've never had issues with portability with kegging, I can fill a growler as easy as the brewpub can.

One of the apparent issues with bottling, evidenced by the endless threads is the issues around cleaning all those containers, managing consistency from one to the other for priming and problems associated with the process of each. Kegging holds a lot of appeal as an alternative because it mitigates many of these problems by going to a single serving vessel which gives easier and more consistent control over that aspect.

My armchair observation has been that, many former bottlers who have moved on to kegging don't miss the inconsistency or labor of the former and see the kegging as a form of evolution.... Ie. I don't see a lot of keggers lamenting their situation and looking to go back to strictly bottling.

Quick Reply