The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Proposed Style Guidelines. Cascadian Dark Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #11
Jipper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is almost funny, but I'm sure they are for real. It's a flash in the pan trend that really has no place, IMO. Does everything we brew have to be forced into a style? An IPA with carafa II is not an IPA per guidelines. So if I brew a Pilsner with Cascade and Willamette, should I get to write my own style guidelines around it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I don't like that it's called "Cascadian"; you just know that if you brew one with all-Amarillo, some judge somewhere is going to give you 20 points, tops.

Still an "emerging" style, but definately one that I've been interested in exploring.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
bmbigda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 on cold steeping the dark grains, I did this and cold not have been happier with the results. Another option is to use Carafa III (de-husked carafa I).

-1 on using Dogzilla as an example. Tastes like a hopped up dry stout and is not indicative of the "style".

+1,000 on making this official. I love it so much, especially on a cold night in New England.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
bmbigda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer94 View Post
I like dark hoppy beers, but not food coloring. If I could buy every single product I ever use, minus any added coloring, I would in a heartbeat.

"Cold steep" dark grains for color minus flavor, sinamar, etc. is really a joke. So take your award winning IPA and add dark food coloring and surprise you have an award winning "Cascadian Dark Ale" which also should just be Dark American IPA.

Also I don't understand the 'Flavor' description
If there's an emphasis on something, doesn't that unbalance the other things?

I agree that it seems like a cop out to get color without flavor, but that's really not the case. If it were I'd hate it just as much as you do. Try it and you'll be pleasantly surprised to see that it doesn't avoid flavors, just changes them. You get a different roasty/chocolate taste than you'd expect in a stout. It's more refreshing, I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #15
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I made a beer similar to this "style". just called it a hoppy american brown. didnt really care for it much. This type of beer doesnt need its own style....american brown is already there right?.. but i have had yakima twighlight and its a great beer. but its own catagory?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #16
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

40+ SRM? Thats gotta be a typo, right?

Old 02-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
nopride
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Does anyone have a recipe of the style they like & want to share?

Old 02-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #18
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbigda View Post
I agree that it seems like a cop out to get color without flavor, but that's really not the case. If it were I'd hate it just as much as you do. Try it and you'll be pleasantly surprised to see that it doesn't avoid flavors, just changes them. You get a different roasty/chocolate taste than you'd expect in a stout. It's more refreshing, I'm not sure how else to describe it.
I think Yakima Twilight is delicious. I love hops and it's got a great amount of malt taste & aroma. I am not opposed to the "style" of beer, I just think the proposed guidelines need work. And a lot of the "Black IPA," or whatever you want to call it, recipes I have seen are an IPA + 3-4 oz of some very dark grain to add little to no taste.

I love that continually evolving "styles" of beer are pushing the envelope. Yakima Twilight is the only one in the "style" I have tried, and like I said it's great, but it has flavor to match the color. Really most of the style guidelines do not mean much, except if I am looking to try a new beer. I like when a case of beer is marked with the specific style so that I can decide if I want to try it on a whim. And for that reason I like the idea of more specific styles or sub-styles as long as it can set itself apart by more than looks.

I look forward to drinking more of whatever we want to call these types of beer!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #19
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think there is a place for something similar to this, though I really dislike the label "Cascadian Dark Ale".

There are 3 types of beer listed under the American Ale category in the BJCP largely based on color:

1) American Pale Ale
2) American Amber Ale
3) American Brown Ale

The thing is, craft & homebrewed beers are all becoming hoppier and hoppier. This has worked fine because the super hoppy APA can fall into the American IPA category. But there is not super hoppy Amber or Brown category (and with the American Brown category going up to 35 SRM it covers pretty close to black, too). Some of my very favorite commercial & homebrewed beers fall out of the style guidelines but in predictable ways that necessitate some new BJCP category, I think. (For example Bear Republic's Red Rocket Ale is an awesome "India" Amber -- too hoppy to fit the BJCP American Amber. Same for Terrapin's India Brown Ale -- too hoppy to fit BJCP American Brown.) 5 or 6 years ago there wasn't an Imperial IPA category, but once a style seemed to develop, they needed to create a category for it. I think we've hit that point with both Amber & Brown hoppy beers. Personally, since we've all gotten used to the "India" moniker on beers & know what it means, I personally would like "India Amber Ale" (Or India Red Ale) and "India Brown Ale" but I would be open to other labels. I just think it is time -- there are so many of these out there these days.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #20
bmbigda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer94 View Post
I think Yakima Twilight is delicious. I love hops and it's got a great amount of malt taste & aroma. I am not opposed to the "style" of beer, I just think the proposed guidelines need work. And a lot of the "Black IPA," or whatever you want to call it, recipes I have seen are an IPA + 3-4 oz of some very dark grain to add little to no taste.

I love that continually evolving "styles" of beer are pushing the envelope. Yakima Twilight is the only one in the "style" I have tried, and like I said it's great, but it has flavor to match the color. Really most of the style guidelines do not mean much, except if I am looking to try a new beer. I like when a case of beer is marked with the specific style so that I can decide if I want to try it on a whim. And for that reason I like the idea of more specific styles or sub-styles as long as it can set itself apart by more than looks.

I look forward to drinking more of whatever we want to call these types of beer!

Yea you'll have to try to get your hands on the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous. I could give two ****s about style guidelines, I just know that if this becomes one, more craft brewers will make them...and I think they're delicious.

Quick Reply