Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Proposed Style Guidelines. Cascadian Dark Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Default Proposed Style Guidelines. Cascadian Dark Ale

This just in, via the Oregon Brew Crew Feb. '10 newsletter.

Aroma: prominent NW hop aromas: citrus, pine, resinous, sweet malt, hints of roast, toast, chocolate malt, and/or Carafa back-up the hops. Dry hopped character is often present. No diacetyl, esters generally range from low to none.

Appearance: Deep brown to black with ruby highlights. Head varies from white to tan/khaki

Flavor: A balance between piney, citrus-like and spicy NW hop flavor, bitterness, caramel malt, and roast, chocolate, or Carafa-type malts. Roast character ranges from subtle to medium. Black malt is acceptable at low levels, but should not be astringent. Intense ashy, burnt character is not appropriate. Caramel malt as a secondary flavor is acceptable but the finish should be dry. Diacetyl should not be present. Emphasis should be on hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium, hop bitterness and tannins from roast malts combine to create a dry mouthfeel. Resinous character from high levels of dry hopping may create a tongue coating sensation.

Overall Impression: A highly-hopped, medium-bodied dark ale, similar in many ways to a strong version of American IPA, except that it incorporates dark malts and signature NW hop varieties, often in conjunction with fruity esters. Bitterness and body is much closer to an IPA balance than a strong ale or American stout. Finish is a nuanced interplay of hop and roast bitterness to create a dry quenching impression.

History: A style that came to prominence on the Northwest Coast of North America in the early
21st Century. Northwest hops play key flavor roles, balanced with malt, roast malts give color and flavor, but body should be reminiscent of an IPA, not heavy like a porter or stout. The style celebrates the hops of the Pacific Northwest, but is commonly brewed in other regions.

Comments: Some brewers prefer to cold steep the dark grains to achieve a very dark beer without the tannin contribution of adding the grains to the mash. The use of Sinnamar to enhance color is common. The interaction of dark, roasted malts and grains with NW hop character creates a unique spicy flavor component described as minty, or rosemary like.

Ingredients: Pale or pilsner malt, some mid-range caramel malt in a supporting role, Carfa type
malts, both regular and debittered, small amounts of chocolate malt, roast barley, and black patent malts can also be used. Northwest American hop varieties, or hops with similar characteristics (eg New Zealand), for flavor and aroma additions. Heavy dry-hopping is common.

IBUs 60-90+
Color: 40+ SRM
OG: 1.060-1.075 (15-18 P)
FG: 1.008-1.016 (2-4 P)
Abv 6.0-7.75%

Classic Examples: Rogue Brewer, Phllips Black Toque, Hopworks Secession CDA, Barley Brown’s Turmoil, Widmer W’10 Pitch Black IPA, Lucky Lab Black Sheep, Three Creeks 8 Second IBA, Block 15 Benton Brigade, Stone 11th Anniversary (Sublimely Self-Righteous) Ale, Walking Man Big Black Homo, Rogue Black Brutal, Laughing Dog Dogzilla, Southern Tier Iniquity

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Haputanlas Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Beerbeque
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

This sounds just like a beer I brewed very recently but at the time I didn't know what to call it. I just made up the recipe because it sounded good and it definitely is a winner now that it is finished. My recipe was:
10# two row
12 oz crystal 60
6oz choc.
2oz black patent
1.25oz Cent 90min
2.0oz Cent 5min
1.0 Cas flameout
US-05
Tastybrew.com calculator says:
O.G. 61
IBU 72
SRM 20
I love the name-Cascadian dark ale!

Give us this day our liquid bread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Paddle_Head
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Never seen such a beer in NY. Is this what is also sometimes called a Black IPA?

Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I like dark hoppy beers, but not food coloring. If I could buy every single product I ever use, minus any added coloring, I would in a heartbeat.

"Cold steep" dark grains for color minus flavor, sinamar, etc. is really a joke. So take your award winning IPA and add dark food coloring and surprise you have an award winning "Cascadian Dark Ale" which also should just be Dark American IPA.

Also I don't understand the 'Flavor' description

Quote:
A balance between (hops & malts)... Emphasis should be on hop flavor.
If there's an emphasis on something, doesn't that unbalance the other things?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
bosco_NJ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle_Head View Post
Never seen such a beer in NY. Is this what is also sometimes called a Black IPA?
Look for Southern Tier Iniquity. Southern Tier Brewing is in Lakewood, NY. Also if you get Victory Brewing near you look for Yakima Twilight. And yes they would be be called by some as Black IPA's.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Mmmmm.... Phillips Black Toque. Love that beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer94 View Post
Also I don't understand the 'Flavor' description
If there's an emphasis on something, doesn't that unbalance the other things?
And you are right -- that flavour description is terribly worded. I think they mean a balance of flavours, although hop flavour should be most prominant. Presumably the beer should also be well balanced with respect to hop BITTERNESS and dryness from the roast malt and the malt sweetness. They don't actually say this, but of the two commercial examples I have tasted in the style examples that would seem to be true.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

CDA is an attempt to get away from confusing and contradictory terms like Black IPA, IDA, IBA, etc. I expect to see some refinement of the wording. I believe for near-term BJCP competitions, they'll want these entered in 23, but labeled as a CDA.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
jjp36
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd also add Victory Yakima Twilight to the list of examples. Delicious beer.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

What about American Dark Ale?

Old 02-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
DrDirt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I find it amusing that the OREGON brewers place such a repeated emphasis on the use of NW hops in the guideline. I count 8 such references. Maybe we should just cut to the chase and require that the beer be brewed in the northwest.

Quick Reply