Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Proper pint glass care

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
readerrabbitryo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Proper pint glass care

I'm new to this forum, as of today, so forgive me if this question seems exhausted. I take pride in the care of my pint glasses at home (I don't use them for anything other than craft beer or water). I just started getting into craft beer and I recently learned about "lacing" and how it relates to proper cleaning. Could anyone tell me the proper way to keep my glasses "Alehouse clean"?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The key is to avoid using rinse agents. Ideally, you should wash them by hand. Frankly, though, I find that to be a pain in the tuckus, so I just stick them in the dishwasher. Use a mild detergent.

Primary: Amber Ale. :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Stein beer
Planned: Saison, pale ale, brown ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 12-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2659 Times on 1731 Posts
Likes Given: 359

I usually just rinse mine really well in hot water right after I'm done drinking from them.

Long story short, Beer.

Newbroower Likes This 
Old 12-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
AaronM
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

..... and immediately pour another!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2659 Times on 1731 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbroower
..... and immediately pour another!
Exactly right

Long story short, Beer.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

You know what works great? Every once in a while, do a "saltwater scrub" on your glasses. Just moisten the glass, and sprinkle on some table salt. Scrub well, with your hand, and then rinse well with clear water. It makes such a huge difference, and gets the class "bar clean".

Old 12-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 42

There are two things that NEVER get put in my dishwasher. One is my good kitchen knives. The other is my beer glasses.

I rinse the glasses immediately after drinking (or as soon after as is practical), and then wash in as hot of water as I can physically stand, followed by a rinse in the hottest water I can get out of my tap. (I live alone, so no kids to worry about, ergo my gas water heater is set a little higher than 'normal'. Direct contact WILL scald flesh.). I rinse long enough to get the glass too hot to handle, and place upside down on a clean flour sack towel while I wash the rest. The heat helps them self-dry, and then any remaining water is dried with a soft towel, and glasses are placed back in the cupboard upside down.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You know what works great? Every once in a while, do a "saltwater scrub" on your glasses. Just moisten the glass, and sprinkle on some table salt. Scrub well, with your hand, and then rinse well with clear water. It makes such a huge difference, and gets the class "bar clean".
I do this all the time. I usually just rinse the glasses and put them off to the side on the counter til I have 2-3, the grab the salt water and a bottle brush and go to town.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf View Post
There are two things that NEVER get put in my dishwasher. One is my good kitchen knives. The other is my beer glasses.

I rinse the glasses immediately after drinking (or as soon after as is practical), and then wash in as hot of water as I can physically stand, followed by a rinse in the hottest water I can get out of my tap. (I live alone, so no kids to worry about, ergo my gas water heater is set a little higher than 'normal'. Direct contact WILL scald flesh.). I rinse long enough to get the glass too hot to handle, and place upside down on a clean flour sack towel while I wash the rest. The heat helps them self-dry, and then any remaining water is dried with a soft towel, and glasses are placed back in the cupboard upside down.
Oh, yes, my hot tap water is HOT. I don't have children at home, and my tap water approaches 150 degrees! We're talking scalding hot!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #10
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I generally wipe them with a sponge that has had detergent in it, and rinse thoroughly with clean hot (not scalding) water.

However you clean your glasses, you need to make sure you rinse off any detergent. Detergent kills the head.

Quick Reply