The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > of a proper age and maturity...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
burkecw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default of a proper age and maturity...

so i've been pondering lately, has anyone either come across, or better yet done experiments leading to some data concerning an optimal window for aging and consuming certain beer styles?

I've always been a proponent of letting the beer tell you when its ready, for however long it might be. But before I repeat anything someone else has documented, I'd like to know, for example, how long a bottle conditioned German Pilsner will take to hits its sweet spot, both in terms of long enough to properly clarify and refine its flavors, but not too long as to lose its wonderful hop characteristics.

while I generally feel that longer is better for cold conditioning lagers, a recent comment from Jamil on the Brewing Network about the changing characteristics of pilsners had me a bit concerned.

so, assuming proper sanitation and trying to minimize O2 pickup from primary to secondary (if used) to bottle conditioning, what are your thoughts?

cheers

Primary - Arrogant Bastard Clone
Lager Secondary - empty
Ale Secondary - empty
Bottle Conditioning - Belgian Dark Strong
Drinking: Oak Old Ale, Jasmine Witbier, 2 year Barleywine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply