Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Propane- what would blow me up?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
BobbiLynn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Hubby's best friend is coming over to switch the tank for me and check all the fittings. I hate to be a helpless female, don't realize how much hubby does for me until he's not here. In the hospital right now(he will be fine, just simple surgery). I'll watch and learn.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
Hubby's best friend is coming over to switch the tank for me and check all the fittings. I hate to be a helpless female, don't realize how much hubby does for me until he's not here. In the hospital right now(he will be fine, just simple surgery). I'll watch and learn.
Good luck with the brew and I hope it's a quick recovery for him. Assuming he is a beer guy also, he will have something to look forward to in a few weeks!

Old 02-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Your not helpless, you just dont know what to do and better to be safe than sorry when dealing with explosive gases. just watch what your husband friend does so you can do it yourself next time. Im sure your husband would feel the same way if you were out of the picture for a few days.

Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 02-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn
Isn't it just unscrewing the fitting with your hand? I have the old style wrench fitting on my pop up camper but almost all stuff now is the BBQ grill fitting ...
Also if it's a wrench type fitting its a left hand thread "righty loosey lefty tighty" and brass is softer than steel so it's easy to strip and destroy the fitting (I speak from experience )

Propane isn't dangerous if you are careful but it still is a hydrocarbon that demands respect

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
ScottG58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If a leak in a propane tank catches fire, the tank can blevin. That means it explodes propelling super heated liquid propane. It can be incredibly dangerous. Get rid of it.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trout View Post
Your not helpless, you just dont know what to do and better to be safe than sorry when dealing with explosive gases. just watch what your husband friend does so you can do it yourself next time. Im sure your husband would feel the same way if you were out of the picture for a few days.
Thanks. Friend said just wait for him to get here. Yeah, without me hubby wouldn't be able to find anything. Where's this? Where's that? Couldn't even find his way around the kitchen. Just poured a beer while waiting. The hissing sound coming from the tank just freaked me out. It's outside in the open. Must relax, all will be fine.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds to me like you would be better off just not using propane. It is a lot more dangerous than natural gas. It is heavier than air and settles on the ground. This is how you blow hell out of yourself. Mike

Old 02-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #18
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer View Post
Sounds to me like you would be better off just not using propane. It is a lot more dangerous than natural gas. It is heavier than air and settles on the ground. This is how you blow hell out of yourself. Mike
That's what scared me. Probably would be better off not using propane but not going to let it discourage me. I just need to learn how to use it safely. I am a quick learner. Hubby's friend will help me and I'm sure take his time telling me about safety measures. I can do this.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Kind of a funny story but not 100% related to your topic... I read an article not to long ago that was saying that people who store their propane tanks in barns or closets or outside could be at risk for possible harm.

Apparently there's been a few cases where the mice colonize the storage shelter and actually chew the fittings around the propane tank and when you go to turn it on, it lights up and sometimes blows up. Apparently a few people have been torched this way.

Just sayin' check for leaks

Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I've used propane for fuel in homes, and in campers, gas grills, and in turkey fryers. It's no more dangerous than turning on your stove.

Just don't use it in an enclosed area (co poisoning is likely!).

Mine go on by hand. You don't need tools to change them out. Just turn off, unhook, put on the new one, open the valve. That's it.

Quick Reply