The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Propane for Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
sloose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD69
I am starting to brew almost every weekend and using a lot of gas. Does anyone know of an inexpensive place to refill propane tanks in the Tampa Bay area of Florida?
I'm getting about 4 brews from a tank or so (all grain)... I'm motivated to run a natural gas line disconnect somewhere where I can brew with it. Then I need new blichmann burners. That will make SWMBO *really* pissed lol

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloose View Post
I'm getting about 4 brews from a tank or so (all grain).
Thats about what I experience as well. That heats an average of 4 gallons mash and 6 gallons sparge water from the tap and boils about 7 gallons of wort for 75 minutes using my bayou classic burner. I figure thats about $4 per batch.

Is this what others are experiencing as well?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
jrstacey
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Not too sure about Tampa Bay but up here Costco is by far the cheapest at $8.49 for a 20# tank.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
Trey57
Recipes 

Sorry not from Tampa but make sure you check the pounds of propane you are buying. Some places sell 16 lbs and others sell 20 lbs - not a nice trick on the 16 lb people. Suburban Cylinder exchange delivers to your door in the Atlanta area. For natural gas I highly recommend the G4 burner (g4burner.com) I bought it from bbq guys online. I'm sure the blichmann's are nice but after comparing the btu's 180k vs 72k it was no comparison really.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Jeff, where in Tampa Bay are you?

I live near downtown St. Pete, and there's a plant nursery up the street from me that does 20# propane refills for $14 and change, as opposed to $18-19 at WalMart/Home Depot. If you happen to be in my area, it's on the corner of 16th St N and Haines Road.

Most nurseries do some hydroponic growing, which involves converting propane to CO2 for the plant soil. If there's a nursery of any size near you, chances are they sell propane, so visit a few.

Primary #1 - EMPTY!
Primary #2 - Cherry Wood Smoked Tart Cherry Cider
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - Blackberry Berliner Weisse
Keg #2 - Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - Berliner Weisse
Bottled - NONE!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
For natural gas I highly recommend the G4 burner (g4burner.com) I bought it from bbq guys online. I'm sure the blichmann's are nice but after comparing the btu's 180k vs 72k it was no comparison really.
FYI, BTUs is not always a good indication of a good burner. I have a Blichmann and a Bayou Classic SP10. The Blichmann rates at 72K BTUs, and the SP10 at 185K BTUs. Design/Engineering wise, though, the Blichmann focuses much more of it's heat to the kettle, whereas the SQ10 wastes a ton of propane heating the air. The Blichmann is WAYYYYYY more efficient than the SP10. It gets to stike temp and boil temp faster, and uses about 1/2 the propane doing it.

I don't know anything about the jet burner you linked, so not trying to put it down. The fact that it's natural gas makes it about 2.5X more efficient right off the bat, so I'm sure it is a great unit. Just saying that BTU rating doesn't mean all that much when you're shopping for burners.

Primary #1 - EMPTY!
Primary #2 - Cherry Wood Smoked Tart Cherry Cider
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - Blackberry Berliner Weisse
Keg #2 - Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - Berliner Weisse
Bottled - NONE!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
knightnorth
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on the BTU. I got a small 45k BTU Brinkmann. Heats 7 gallons to boiling in about 10 min from the cold tap. I've been getting 5-6 batches off a 20# tank. Refills are $25 for a blue rhino where I'm at but haven't shopped around much since its been $5 or less per batch.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
one-L
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on Uhaul for refills. For folks using Blue Rhino, might be worth picking up a tank scale like this http://store.bakerindustries.org/mm5...tegory_Code=PR or something similar. Have seen a couple of news articles where they went in and tested a bunch of "full" Blue Rhino tanks, some of which were 3/4 full or less. One thing I like about Uhaul is they fill them in front of you, on a scale, so you know what you're getting.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 12 Posts

Where bouts are ya? I use ACE. Uhaul is a little cheaper.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #20
jmendez29

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I have a couple equipment rental places that I use. They are both $15 for a refill, but the one has what seems like teenagers running the place and I get the distinct impression that they don't like dealing with the propane so I end up waiting for a little while. The other place, I go there, pay for it, walk out to the tank and get it filled right away, and back in my truck within 5 minutes. And they also have a punch card. Get ten refills, next one is free.

Does that make me an ***hole?

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Quick Reply