Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Productive Black Friday

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
FatDuc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Productive Black Friday

I had a pretty busy morning so far. My youngest decided at 4 AM that he was going to wake the whole house up with a little screaming, and after about 45 min of rocking and pacing around holding him I finally got him back to sleep. Problem was I was wide awake...

Well, I had planned on my inaugral bottling of my first brew for later today, but since I was up I went ahead and began the bottling process. Popping the carboy cap off and racking the ale to the bottling bucket went smoothly. I had added the priming corn sugar to the bucket prior, after boiling it in 2 cups of water for the specified 5 minutes. I took my time, and went by all the directions, except for taking a FG check AFTER I had added the priming sugar, so I don't know if that number is even relevant? I had measured 1.011 when I racked to the secondary. the number I got after the priming sugar was in was 1.013. Bottling with the wand went fine, and I even got the bottles labeled!

Since I had everything out, and a batch of sanitizer made, I went ahead and popped the stopper out of the Apfelwein carboy and took a sample. It'll be 5 weeks tomorrow since I started it, and it's down to 0.099. There's still a fine ring of bubbles around the top of it, and it's really clear, but it's staying in the carboy another week. I think it'll only help it. The sample I drew was pretty full in the wine thief, so I finally got to take a nice taste of this stuff. I like it! I'm looking forward to having it on the rocks in time. It is very dry, but it definitely has apple overtones, and I got a nice little hint of sweetness at the very beginning of a sip, like right on the tip of my tongue, but it finishes dry, with no residual sweetness. I can definitely see how this would be a hit with the ladies when poured with a splash of Sprite.

Anyways, I hope everyone had a great day yesterday, and a great weekend to come,
Matt

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I always measure my FG after adding the bottling sugar. You can calculate the gravity points your added sugar has and subtract it from your measured value to get your true FG.

GT

Old 11-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Nice way to stay busy.

Now...step away from those bottles...nice..and slow...

Walk away and get ready to brew your next batch...

Old 11-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Finished label:

And on the bottles:

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Quick Reply