Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Problem......????? - (carbonation)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 02:35 AM   #1
physfarm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Problem......????? - (carbonation)

I made a pumpkin ale recently (or at least I used pumpkin in my mash). But here is the deal:

It had an original gravity of 1.084. I had it in a primary for a little over 2 weeks and a secondary for 2 weeks. It has been bottled for 2 weeks and I chilled and cracked one open tonight and there is no carbonation. When I bottled I actually used quite a bit of corn sugar (ie 2 oz per the 1.7 gallons I got out of it; it started out a half batch). I was originally worried I would end up with bottle bombs once I realized how little actually made it to the bottling bucket. I don't know what could have happened. I used WLP001 so it should of handled the alcohol content. Could I have used too much irish moss? Where did my yeast go? There was zero sediment in the bottle.

Now that said. This stuff is pretty awesome. I'm not sure what it tastes like exactly. It reminds me of an imperial oktoberfest I had once except with pumpkin spices or maybe a barley wine. SWMBO seems to love it, anyway. I'm not sure if it would be better carbonated or worse....

So, besides not knowing what happened, should I be concerned about how long they will keep if they didn't carbonate/pressurize in the bottle? I originally thought maybe I should try to add yeast to the bottles, but if they taste great maybe I should just let them be.?.?.?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 02:40 AM   #2
zac
Thread Killer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 150 Posts

A beer that big will need some time to carb up.

2 weeks in & no carb? I woulndt worry too much about it. Give it time, grasshopper.

It'll keep without the carbonation. Imagine how a wine feels without carbonation.

Keep SWMBO happy, shes the one who controls the brewing sechdule.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 AM   #3
physfarm
Recipes 

Thanks. I will try again in a week or two.

Yes Master... Patience.... Patience.... Patience... Got it... Is it ready now... Dope

SWMBO described it as the "best thing she has ever tasted", so not all is lost even if it doesn't carb up. She will definitely let me brew again in the near future.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
zac
Thread Killer

Recipes 

I have a RIS (Russian Imperial Stout) that has been in the bottles for 4 months now that hasn't carbed.

I think I could call it a massive port wine if it never carbs.

The second beer I ever did was a pumpkin for SWMBO. She loved it, thats why I'm still brewing.

Give your pumpkin 2 more weeks, if no phft, then tell SWMBO you'll have to have a keg system to make sure things carb up.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
physfarm
Recipes 

I do like the way you think, sir.

There is now only 17 left of this pumpkin experiment (which interestingly enough was my second beer as well), so maybe I will wait another month before I try it again. Well, if I can keep SWMBO out of them.

Let me know if that RIS ever carbs up.

Thanks again for the advice.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:51 AM   #6
zac
Thread Killer

Recipes 

no worries.

Where in the world are you from?

Old 12-22-2008, 05:42 AM   #7
physfarm
Recipes 

Born and raised in Kansas. My wife and I are currently going to graduate school in Wichita, KS. You?

Also, don't drink and then play with picture frames.... broken glass..... Think my sister will notice if her Christmas present is a picture in a frame with no glass?

Old 12-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
Superdave
Recipes 

Yahoo for Kansas! While you're waiting for the pumpkin beer to carb, go buy some Tallgrass beer somewhere down there in Wichita. I'm in Manhattan and work for them.

Where are you storing the beer for carbing? Keep it at room temperature. If it is too cold, the yeast will go dormant and not do anything. (You won't kill them, but they will be "asleep".) Warming it up will wake them up.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Odd, I just bottled my Imperial Pumpkin Ale on Friday and just opened it today...no carbinattion (OG 1.1, FG 1.008). I guess I'll just follow the advice on this post and wait....sigh...and I really wanted some homebrew this week. Guess I'll just have to brew some more while I wait.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Old 12-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
Eastside Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Warming it up is a great idea......

I believe there is a thread somewhere on this forum where a guy did a 31 day experiment with a light lager. Each couple of days the carbonation improves, and although it's hard to wait, drinking carbonated beer is pretty cool!

Patience......

Quick Reply