New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pro/Commercial Recipe Sharing Etiquette

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
TheJasonT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Pro/Commercial Recipe Sharing Etiquette

Last night I was at Cigar City in Tampa and I got to talk with one of the brewers there about my homebrew, mashing, sparging, and everything under the sun.

Near the end of our conversation I asked him about Jai Alai, my most favorite IPA. He gave me a basic rundown of the ingredients but not specific numbers. I put something in iBrewMaster based on his info and got pretty close to matching the numbers on the Internet and including the "secret" hop they use.

My question is, is it bad etiquette to share what I came up with for others to try? I haven't tried the recipe yet but it's probably next on my list.

Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Tamarlane
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJasonT View Post
Last night I was at Cigar City in Tampa and I got to talk with one of the brewers there about my homebrew, mashing, sparging, and everything under the sun.

Near the end of our conversation I asked him about Jai Alai, my most favorite IPA. He gave me a basic rundown of the ingredients but not specific numbers. I put something in iBrewMaster based on his info and got pretty close to matching the numbers on the Internet and including the "secret" hop they use.

My question is, is it bad etiquette to share what I came up with for others to try? I haven't tried the recipe yet but it's probably next on my list.

Thanks!!
Wayne published the Jai Alai IPA recipe years ago if you google around you can find plenty of examples. Secret hop? Better not mean Simcoe

Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Wayne is pretty open about the Jai Alai recipe. He pretty much gave it out when they did their Brewing Network show, I believe.

Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 12-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
TheJasonT
Recipes 

No... The brewer told me it was a New Zealand varietal called Motueka, also known as B-Saaz from what I found.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a recipe from a local brewery that is a face melting great stout. When I asked the person if they minded if I shared on the home brew forum the reply I got was something like,"I would appreciate if you would formulate a working recipe based off of ours before you post it up. If you do post your version of it do not mention us." I have not broken that request and still have a face melting stout because of it.

Ask before spilling crap on teh internet. This will make them, you and us happy.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
Dawgs47
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I think if you met him one night and he was willing to share the information and did not include "don't pass this on" or something like that, then you are fine. Unless you slipped him Sodium Pentothal. I would brew it and tweak it before I posted it, for my own credibility, since brewing on the home brew scale is so different.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
TheJasonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial
"I would appreciate if you would formulate a working recipe based off of ours before you post it up. If you do post your version of it do not mention us." I have not broken that request and still have a face melting stout because of it.

Ask before spilling crap on teh internet. This will make them, you and us happy.
This might be the best advice/request I've seen. I'll be brewing this up around the end of the month and it'll be ready end if January. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Old 12-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #8
granpooba19
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
I have a recipe from a local brewery that is a face melting great stout. When I asked the person if they minded if I shared on the home brew forum the reply I got was something like,"I would appreciate if you would formulate a working recipe based off of ours before you post it up. If you do post your version of it do not mention us." I have not broken that request and still have a face melting stout because of it.

So what's the face melting stout recipe? Without mentioning the brewery of course.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 61

You know I have never understood why some breweries are so tight lipped about their recipes. The recipe is just a small, though very important, part of making a great beer. There are so many "little things" that make a beer great that just having the recipe isn't enough.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Old 12-10-2012, 02:41 AM   #10
granpooba19
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
You know I have never understood why some breweries are so tight lipped about their recipes. The recipe is just a small, though very important, part of making a great beer. There are so many "little things" that make a beer great that just having the recipe isn't enough.
I agree..I can't imagine that there are so many homebrewers out there that will start brewing their beer that it will subtract from their profits.

I would think it's actually goodwill to help us homebrewers out with their recipes.

Maybe I'm misguided but are there really that many home brewers that the commercial breweries will lose profit because we all brew their recipes and so many people stop buying the actual commercial brew?

Quick Reply