Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Priming with wheat DME and MD

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
BitterBomz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming with wheat DME and MD

I recently brewed a Piraat clone, and it came out way too dry with hardly any sweetness. OG was 1.076, FG was 1.010. Piraat is recognized for being on the sweet side. Since the fermentation has already completed, I'm about to throw it into the secondary to let it condition. After that, bottling time. I'm thinking about using maltodextrin to add some mouthfeel, but I'm (moreover) searching for something I can use to bring up the sweetness and balance out the spiciness of the yeast and hops. Any ideas?

Also, I have never used any DME to prime. The recipe calls for 1 1/4 cup wheat DME at prime time. Not sure what flavor or sweetness effect the DME will have on the beer once it has been bottled. I know that DME is very fermentable, but I'm not experienced enough to know its priming and flavoring/sweetening charactaristics. Does anyone have a standard solution to make this? How many cups of water should I boil?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

One quart of water with the DME is pretty standard. Because of the small amount of sugar used for priming it doesn't effect flavor much. You might consider using corn syrup. It's the easiest method I have found. I did a blog post on that recently:

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/10/priming-with-corn-syrup.html

As for sweetening beer post fermentation lactose comes to mind, but I haven't tried that so can't say how well that might work.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply