Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Priming with table sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You can use any fermentable to carb with. Corn Sugar is what most kits and many homebrewers use, but table sugar, malt extract, anything can be used. You just have to figure out the right ratio for whatever you're using.

I use different things depending on the beers. For example I prefer to use table sugar over corn sugar or anything else, for Belgian Beers and Certain Historical styles. I think it give a rockier head with tighter white bubbles.

You can use any fermentable for priming. I give detailed info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including the link to the podcast,) and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 300

i've only ever used table sugar. it works great. table vs. corn i think is a wash. you use a bit less table sugar, make sure to use the online calculators.. if you want something different, try honey or syrup or extract...

my theory as to the popularity of corn sugar is that back in the day homebrew stores and kits would instruct you to stir the corn sugar directly into the beer. corn sugar dissolves more easily than standard table sugar, so it worked well for this method. nowadays everyone has you boil the sugar in water and then rack on top of that...and both corn and table sugar easily dissolve if you're boiling the water. btw...if you want something that feels like corn sugar, you can get fine baker's sugar (not powdered sugar)...strictly unnecessary but hey

Old 07-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
LouBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Sweet thanks for the info.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
signmastr
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You can put table sugar in a food processor, pulse it a few times = fine sugar...

Old 07-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
LouBrew13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by signmastr
You can put table sugar in a food processor, pulse it a few times = fine sugar...
That's probably overkill since I'm going to boil it. It looks as though 4.5 oz is great per 5 gallons.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1888 Times on 1165 Posts
Likes Given: 2709

Cool thread. Great link TyTanium and RainyDay! Looks like you were both thinking the same thing at the same time. Ha!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
LouBrew13
Recipes 

If anybody is still following this thread, I primed my chocolate stout with table sugar last night. I'll post any noticeable differences or positives in a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply