Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Priming sugar. A Major Stoopid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Bones1948
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming sugar. A Major Stoopid

Absent minded goof. I did not dissolve the priming sugar. I began pouring the dry sugar directly into the conical fermenter while stirring. Then it hit me what I'd done so I stirred vigorously for a few minutes to get the priming sugar dissolved. (I tested a 1/8 tsp of remaining sugar and it almost instantly dissolves when water gets on it) I repeated stirring 10 minutes later to dissolve any remaining sugar. The crud from the bottom had been re-suspended judging from the turbidity of the brew. I returned the lager to the 45 degrees 'fridge and turned the temp down to ~ 39 degrees to inhibit fermentation. Will rack tomorrow.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2113 Times on 1850 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

39F might indeed do it,but I'd be concerned just the same. Lager yeasts like cold,after all. Then ya gotta warm it up before bottling it.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
keesh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Why not just let it run through that small amount of sugar and then re-prime the proper way? Yeah, it will change the body and flavor of the beer a bit but that is how I'd do it to be sure.

Primary - 1 Gal JAOM, Belgian IPA, Pumpkin ale
Secondary - 5-way split Breakfast Imperial Stout, 2 Gal Traditional mead
Bottled - Kolsch, Pliny the Younger clone, Centennial Blonde, Alpine's Nelson clone, Apfelwein, QuicknDirty Cider
On deck - EdWort's Haus Pale

Old 10-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
ylpaul2000
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not to say that's it's the correct method, but I've bottled before by measuring exact amounts of dry corn sugar and adding it to my bottles before bottling. I've never had any issues, I've just had to wait a bit longer for carbonation. I'd say it shouldn't be an issue.

Quick Reply