The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Priming sugar in keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Priming sugar in keg

Ok, I have about 4 gallons of 8% abv IIPA. I ordered a regulator 2 days ago on eBay and it says it won't be here for 2 weeks! I figured it would be more like 1 week. Anyhow, I already dry hopped it and can't let the hops sit on there too long. I need to put it in the keg and carbonate it the old fashion way. So it's about...3.8 gallons. So I'm gonna have some headspace. How much priming sugar should I use?

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I keg condition all my beers & use .75 oz of priming malt per gallon.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
uncleben113
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It depends on the temperature of the beer. Different temperatures require different amounts of priming sugar. At 70 degrees Fahrenheit (roughly room temp), to carb your beer to 2.5 vols (in the suggested range for an IIPA), you would need to add 1.7 oz of priming sugar., according to BeerSmith

edit: let me know if the temp of your beer is different than that and I'll run some more numbers on it

Fermenting: German Hefeweizen
Fermenting: Cream Ale
Fermenting: Edwort's Apfelwein
Aging: Dry Mead
Aging: Sweet Mead
Aging: JAOM
Aging: Blueberry Melomel

Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben113
It depends on the temperature of the beer. Different temperatures require different amounts of priming sugar. At 70 degrees Fahrenheit (roughly room temp), to carb your beer to 2.5 vols (in the suggested range for an IIPA), you would need to add 1.7 oz of priming sugar., according to BeerSmith edit: let me know if the temp of your beer is different than that and I'll run some more numbers on it
Great, thanks! I really appreciate the help. I'll be conditioning it at about 70 degrees F, lowest would be 68. 3.8 gallons in a 5 gallon corny keg. I was gonna put 2 ounces in but 1.7 looks perfect. Correct me if I'm wrong

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
uncleben113
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcogar View Post
Great, thanks! I really appreciate the help. I'll be conditioning it at about 70 degrees F, lowest would be 68. 3.8 gallons in a 5 gallon corny keg. I was gonna put 2 ounces in but 1.7 looks perfect. Correct me if I'm wrong
No you're there. 1.7 oz is for right in the middle of the typical range for your beer so you could do a little more or less and still be fine. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out!

Fermenting: German Hefeweizen
Fermenting: Cream Ale
Fermenting: Edwort's Apfelwein
Aging: Dry Mead
Aging: Sweet Mead
Aging: JAOM
Aging: Blueberry Melomel

Old 09-28-2013, 03:34 AM   #6
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Will do! Thanks again

Quick Reply